Using PPS rating correctly-chairfast vs. bedfastRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Using PPS rating correctly-chairfast vs. bedfast in Hospice Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... If a patient requires assistance to stand and pivot to a wheelchair are they considered bed bound...by juniper111 Feb 12If a patient requires assistance to stand and pivot to a wheelchair are they considered bed bound and rated at 30% or chairbound and rated at 40%? I have a few patients that are two person asst to wheelchair and I'm not sure how to rate them.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=815007©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,042 Views
- Feb 12 by cjcsoon2brnI'm not sure what you mean by PPS but I know that when completing a Braden Scale for Predicting Pressure Ulcers under the "Activity" section even if the patient requires two assists to sit in a chair/wheelchair they would still be scored as "Chairbound" and if they are not able to even get out of bed to sit in a chair then they are "Bedbound". I found a helpful resources from the Braden Scale official site that helps when doing Pressure Ulcer prediction scoring.
- Feb 12 by Daisy_08If they are still getting into a chair often (almost everyday) then they are chair bound. If they stay in bed all the time they are bedbound. It's kinda self explanatory
- Feb 12 by juniper111You would think this is self explanatory however, I continue to come back to this same discussion with mgmt who says pt is bedbound if they require assistance out of bed.
- Feb 12 by tewdlesPPS=Palliative Performance Score
It is more descriptive and prognostic than the Karnovsky in hospice care
- Feb 14 by Daisy_08If someone is getting mech lifted out of bed to a chair, we still call them chairfast. But you should do what your facility says, probably want more funding.
- Feb 14 by morteI understand the funding point, but wouldn't that be fraud?Quote from Daisy_08If someone is getting mech lifted out of bed to a chair, we still call them chairfast. But you should do what your facility says, probably want more funding.
- Feb 14 by pfeliksIf someone is in bed requiring hoyer lift to transfer to a broda chair, at the Hospice at which I work we consider them bed fast.
- Feb 14 by tewdlesThe Palliative Performance score is designed to help remove some of the grey areas that are giving you guys trouble...
- Feb 18 by tewdles