Advice on HH Books, Gadgets, and More!!!Register Today!
- by RN4life08 Jun 23Hello Everyone,
I will be starting my new position in HH on 7/8/13. I would like to prepare myself as much as possible before I start! Since I am new to HH I was planning on getting the book recommended by Tina M. Marrelli Handbook of Home Health Standards. I was wondering if there were any more suggestions to help me get prepared. Any good Nursing diagnosis books, or any gadgets that you feel are essential to providing good care while out on the road.
- Jun 23 by rnMommThe only thing I could suggest. Unless they supply you with a field bag/ clinical bag. I like to use a baby/ diaper bag you can get one at target or Walmart for $25. They have a lot of pockets and different compartments for everything you need. Plus your cell phone in convent spot. Good luck !
- Jun 23 by RN4life08Thanks...I'm not sure if they supply us with field bags but if not I like the diaper bag idea!
- Jun 24 by paradiseboundRNHere is some of the stuff I used, if your agency does not supply them:
1. pill boxes at the dollar store to use in a pinch
2. a fast electronic thermometer at the drug store or a tympanic one if your agency allows
3. a hand mirror for looking at back of legs/feet easier
4. a couple of pencil case size bags (Walmart used to carry sturdy ones), Ziploc bags, or small plastic containers to use to separate supplies in your bag
5. a notebook for your car for mileage, notes, etc.
6. a GPS
7. Either carry a drug book or if you have a smart phone download "Epocrates". Its free and its the best drug resource book around.
8. a flashlight.
That's all I can think of for now. Good luck!Last edit by paradiseboundRN on Jun 24 : Reason: misspelling
- Jun 24 by RN4life08Thx ParadiseboundRN...super helpful!!!
- Jun 25 by nursemami4Quote from rnMommYou know I never thought to use a diaper bag. I was online hast night about go order a bag but couldn't decide. Funny thing is I have 5 kids with the youngest 7 months, with that said I have plenty diaper bags and never thought to use one of the extras. Well l will be now lol! Thanks for that tip. And yes there are plenty pockets.The only thing I could suggest. Unless they supply you with a field bag/ clinical bag. I like to use a baby/ diaper bag you can get one at target or Walmart for $25. They have a lot of pockets and different compartments for everything you need. Plus your cell phone in convent spot. Good luck !