Herbals In LactationRegister Today!
- by LCDEBBIE Oct 29, '02Hello! Looking for input from anyone regarding the use of herbals in lactation.
Another query: In the Caribbean Islands the use of sea kelp and waterkress is used to improve lactation. Any thoughts on what is in these 2 items. Recently I used waterkress to assist induced lactation with an adopting mother and it worked well.
Yours in alternatives,
- 4,362 Views
- Oct 29, '02 by SHELLYBELLYRNDebbie,
I don't know anything about herbals..........but I would like to talk to you more about induced lactation. Hubby and I are strongly considering adopting in the future.........and have always wondered if I would be able to nurse that child.
Also, just a note.........my best friend and husband are both from Sault Ste. Marie...........
- Oct 29, '02 by anitameDebbie,
I used Fenugreek with my second daughter. With my first, I worked at a very flexible home health agency and was able to come home and nurse my baby whenever she needed (within reason). I started working at the hospital when my second was four months old. My supply stayed great during my stretches off, but by about the third out of a four day stretch working, it started to peter out despite pumping more, etc.
So I started taking Fenugreek. Our LC at the hospital didn't know much about it, I researched and bought it online.
I was VERY happy with the results. My milk supply once again knew no bounds! :roll I took it for a couple of weeks and then didn't really need it any more. My schedule changed so I was only working 2 days at a time and my supply was great with that.
The ONLY negative thing I have to say about it is you have to take a lot. I think I was taking 3 caps TID but it was worth it to me. I was able to continue nursing her for 18 months
- Oct 29, '02 by prmenrsThe lactation nurses where I worked used fenugreek a lot. Organic/health food markets have it, and there are lots of those in San Diego, so no problem getting it, either.
- Apr 3, '03 by kayemYou can try ot get information from DR.LOWDOG She is THE WOMAN with herbs and breastfeeding!
Or call a La Leche League leader.
Fenugreek does work!
- Apr 3, '03 by kimmicoobugWhen I was breastfeeding my daughter, my mom made a seaweed soup to help my milk. It worked. With my son, I had some difficulty with my milk coming in and pulled out the old seaweed, and I found that once again, it helped with my milk.
- Feb 21, '04 by JennipherlynnAt the midwifery clinic I work at we recommend two herbs, fenugreek and also blessed thistle. also 6 oz of imported beer can really help increase milk supply, I believe it has something to do with the yeast in the beer.
- Feb 21, '04 by kayemQuote from JennipherlynnAt the midwifery clinic I work at we recommend two herbs, fenugreek and also blessed thistle. also 6 oz of imported beer can really help increase milk supply, I believe it has something to do with the yeast in the beer.
Actually beer has no real effect on breastmilk supply. Hops are full of vit b which helps mom relax, along with the beer.Happy mom, happy baby.
I also have never heard of sea weed.....helping
- Sep 15, '12 by cradleholdI would look up Jennifer Tow IBCLC or Nikki Lee IBCLC who are holistic lactation consutlants