Healthier Living Thread Part V - page 5
All members, Premium and non-Premium are encouraged to participate and share in this thread. This is the thread where members come to share their journey to wellness and wholeness. It's a holistic thread, talking about all... Read More
- 0Oct 13, '07 by Liddle Noodnik GuideQuote from jb2uCongratulations Jay! that is wonderful!Well, Friday weigh in time. I had to work a twelve today, but better late than never!
Starting Weight: 233 lbs.
Current Weight: 227 lbs.
I wish everyone else much success on their journey towards health.
Quote from ertravelrnCongrats on all that loss, whoo hoo!... I am definately a carb lover and I am not happy with some of the changes I am having to make.
I have cut back on the dessert and bread and pasta, that has helped tremendously. If I had my "druthers" though I would live on them!
Quote from Baptized_By_FireI'm at a total loss of 8 pounds for 2 weeks.
Congratulatins to you too!
- 0Oct 13, '07 by llg GuideThis week is my 1 year anniversary. It was a year ago that I was diagnosed as being in the very early stages of Type II diabetes -- which led to my change in lifestyle. So, I thought I would give little report.
I went on a low-carb diet and started exercising a little and lost about 30 pounds over 6 months. My blood glucose stabilized (with no meds) and my cholesterol numbers all improved. My doctor was thrilled with me. For months 6-9, I added back a few "healthy" carbs (whole grain stuff in small/moderate amounts) and lost another 5-10 pounds and my labs are still good. For the past 3 months, I have followed a low/moderate carb diet (but with only low glycemic index carbs) and increased my exercise. I haven't lost any more weight, but I've put on some muscle and my body is firming up a bit. I've hit a big plateau.
My goal for the next year is to maintain my current routines (and good lab work) and try to lose 1-2 pounds per month.
Clothes have become a major issue. I've lost 2-3 full sizes, depending on the specific item and brand. Even my feet are slightly smaller! Believe it or not, having to replace virtually all of my wardrobe has not been as much fun as I thought it would be. I hate spending all that money, knowing that I hope to be yet another size smaller next year. Also, I am now at an awkward size where it is hard to find a good fit. The large sizes are too big, but the regular sizes are made for taller people -- and most petite departments don't stock a lot of size 14's and 16's. So, I'm in-between the 3 different departments and struggling.
Today, I went and bought 2 new coats. It wasn't cheap, but all of my old coats are 2 sizes too big. I feel lucky that I found a couple that I can feel OK about at a reasonable price. One is a full length raincoat with a removable liner ... and the other is a short jacket/raincoat, also with a removable liner. Between the 2 of them, they should meet most of my needs. ... and I look real good in them!
So ... having been successful over this past year and met my goals ... I can say that it has been well worth the effort, but not all a bed of roses. Even success brings its challenges.
Good luck, everybody!
- 0Oct 13, '07 by jb2uQuote from ertravelrnCongratulations on the 10 lbs. I agree carbs are great!Zoe.......Howdy, I figured out I had diabetes because of neuropathy in my feet........took me a week of two before I figured out why my feet were burning. The dieting is harder, because it is a little more than just cutting back or watching what I eat.....I am definately a carb lover and I am not happy with some of the changes I am having to make. I did however lose 10 lbs in the first three weeks.
How have you been doing?
It is so good to be back.
Quote from Baptized_By_FireCongratulations on the 8 lbs. I agree portion control is important. Have what you want, just not how much you want, I say!!! Good luck with the exercise. I know it is hard to get motivated. I try to tell myself, "just get on the treadmill for 20 min." and then, when I get on, I can't stop. I actually enjoy it once I get on it with some music going. Tae Bo is also great!! And nothing beats a day at the park with my kids!!!!!I'm at a total loss of 8 pounds for 2 weeks. Yay! Portion control has gotten much easier now. Now, if I can just get off my butt and exercise, all will be well.
Oh- don't get the black bean burger at Chili's. It has 325 cals, 6 gr fat, but 13 gr fiber= 6 points. I had half of one for lunch yesterday, thinking I was being good. I could've had half a cheeseburger for that LOL. It didn't even taste good.
Quote from TweetyCongratulations Tweety. My goal is 2 lbs a week, too. Everything over that is just a bonus!Congrats to me too..........2 more pounds! I'm happy with that. My goal is 1-2 lbs. per week.
I hope everyone is having a great weekend!!!!!!!!!
- 0Oct 13, '07 by Liddle Noodnik GuideQuote from TweetyTweet tweet! doot doot!Congrats to me too..........2 more pounds! I'm happy with that. My goal is 1-2 lbs. per week.
Quote from llgThis week is my 1 year anniversary. ... having been successful over this past year and met my goals ... I can say that it has been well worth the effort, but not all a bed of roses. Even success brings its challenges.
Thank you so much for the encouragement!
- 0Oct 14, '07 by Tweetyllg, it's good to hear from you on this thread. It's inspiring to hear someone maintaining, because that's precisely what I did not do the last time I lost and over a year and a half it all came back and then five more. I still have my "skinny clothes" waiting for me and don't have to buy anymore for now.
Thanks Jay. I agree, I enjoy working out, but getting there and getting started is 99% of the effort.
- 0Oct 14, '07 by nightmareI was diagnosed type 2 at the end of June so major life style changes!!I started out at 233lbs and thought "what to do?" Since kids have left home I have been struggling to cook for two instead of 5!so portion sizes were first thought.Out went anything with sugar and read diabetic sites on Internet to see what other diabetics were saying.Started taking Vit B and cinnamon plus one cap of cod liver oil a day.Being not very fit (understatement!!) I started out doing chair exercises with 0.5kg weights,10 sets of exercises at a time,now I can get up to a 100 on a good day with 2kg weights! I have a dodgy knee so no high impact for the legs!However I have a step machine which is just like walking up the stairs and I can use that .This mornings weigh in I am 204lbs and feeling really chuffed!My blood sugars have been below 7mmol all week (think that is 126 for you in US)and I have dropped 2 dress sizes.I am hoping to continue to down size and keep the sugars down so that I don't need meds.
- 0Oct 14, '07 by muffie25.5 and still going strong
not exercising alot but am painfully aware i must incorporate this stat
hello and good luck to the new peeps here
keep up the good work to the old gang
there is life beyond carbs and i am loving that life
a few smart carbs is the way for me
have a great day all
- 0Oct 14, '07 by nightmareCinnamon can help lower blood sugars.