Application for UH ManoaRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Application for UH Manoa in Hawaii State Nursing Programs, part of Hawaii Nursing ... Hi everyone, I am aiming to apply for Spring Admission to UH Manoa Nursing. However, I'm trying...by Maliaia Apr 5, '11Hi everyone,
I am aiming to apply for Spring Admission to UH Manoa Nursing. However, I'm trying to find out more on what will give me a competitive application. I tried asking the department specific questions, but all they would do is refer me to the website (doesn't tell me anything new since I read it like 10 times). I'm finishing my AA in Liberal Arts at WCC this semester. By the end of the summer I will have completed all prerequisites except for the micro lab, and i have a dp science (geog) but I got a C, so will they count that if I have Micro and am currently enrolled in another dp during application process? If everything goes right I will have a 3.67 prerequ and 3.3 cum. If however I retake a FS course (Phil for my Math) during the summer then I'll have a 3.79 prerequ. On their site it says they take no consideration is supporting courses completed. So, does most of their selection solely focus on prerequ gpa? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=548775©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 3,919 Views
- May 2, '11 by marzafar
1. transferring to uh-manoa
since you are applying for nursing for spring ‘12 i am assuming you have been accepted for fall ’11. after this current semester or after taking summer classes send your updated transcript to uh manoa asap because it takes about 2 months to evaluate your courses with uh manoa course equivalencies.(deciding if it is a fw, dp,fs) don’t worry too much about it like i did. i had to wait about a month into fall term to get my evaluated transcript. the advisor (didn’t help at all) didn’t know what to say, and told me should consider taking my foundation math, english etc classes again (freaked me out). i just waited it through and most of my classes transferred properly. if some of your english or science classes are counted as electives and you need them as wi, db etc take it up with the department and see if they can sign off on it as a wi etc.
2. applying to uh manoa nursing.
link to application: http://www.nursing.hawaii.edu/sites/...2010_09_15.pdf
uh manoa considers 3 factors:
1-cumulative gpa of all institutions (academic track record f’s are a red flag)
3-nursing prerequisite gpa
*!* if you read under the bolded/underlined ‘prerequisite courses’ in the application it states that “any combination of 16 or more prerequisite credits listed below must be satisfactorily completed at the time of application, of which must include 1 phyl lecture/lab & 1 other science lecture course (i.e. **dp course or micr 130). applicants must also be enrolled in all remaining prerequisites at the time of application to be considered.”
your nursing prerequisite gpa is solely based on a combination of your best 16 credits including 1 phyl lecture/lab (4 credits) + dp (3 credits) + 3 other perquisite classes with the highest grades (9 credits)= 16 credits
i have a dp science (geog) but i got a c, so will they count that if i have micro and am currently enrolled in another dp during application process?
yes if that is the only dp course you have completed at the time of your application micro will be counted as the required dp prereq.
another important thing: states on the application, to be considered for nursing “you must be enrolled in all remaining prerequisites” when you apply
- May 7, '11 by CaptainHookMarzafar is absolutely correct...UH Manoa SOND uses your BEST 16 credits including several courses that she mentioned.
I was just going to add something about the NLN.
I was told by the person that does all the informational meetings that they will use hour HIGHEST score out of Math, Science, and English scores. They do NOT use the composite score like KCC does. They use the "ALL" score under percentiles (you will see this when you get your NLN results).
So, if your weakness is English and you score really high in Math.....that is the score they use for the NLN ranking when reviewing your application.
I was also told that the cummulative GPA is typically not included in the acceptance criteria (as long as it's above their acceptance standards). They review your cummulative GPA as a tiebreaker of sorts. If you and another applicant are similar on paper, they will choose the person with the best GPA.
Also- your GPA is based on classes at the 100 level or higher. Anything under 100 is tossed out.
I personally did not transfer to Manoa prior to sending in my Nursing application. I applied to the nursing school AND UH Manoa for the same semester.
- May 7, '11 by CaptainHookI would definitely go to an information session....they are held pretty often. It helped me out a lot. You will learn a lot by the presentation and you will be able to ask all of your questions.....come prepared with a list of questions that you have.
I asked every question imaginable. I'm sure the guy presenting will look bored but this is YOUR future and you will pay GOOD money to UH when you get in. It is his job to listen and to answer your questions if he can. Ask away!
- May 12, '11 by mcubed45Quote from CaptainHookNot sure if that's a new change, but in the past the majority of admission was based on pre-req GPA, cumulative GPA, and NLN. Not impossible to get in with a terrible cGPA, just more challenging. I was accepted with a 2.5 cGPA, but had a 4.0 pre-reqs, and 99 percentile nln.I was also told that the cummulative GPA is typically not included in the acceptance criteria (as long as it's above their acceptance standards). They review your cummulative GPA as a tiebreaker of sorts. If you and another applicant are similar on paper, they will choose the person with the best GPA.
- Aug 24, '11 by Dopamine Pwhat do you think my chances of getting into UH Manoa with 4.0 cumulative and pre-reqs and 94,84,57 NLN?
- Nov 30, '11 by surfergirl12310Do you guys know the chances of a transfer student? im currently a fullerton college student and working on finishing my pre req's and have began applying to schools to transfer to and plan to apply for nursing schools depending on where i am accepted to but UH Manoa is one of my higher choices, i have friends that go there and love it.