Kapiolani Community College - page 6
Hi, I am just trying to get some clarity on Kapiolani's RN program. I am a military spouse and am new to the island, so I called this college and was told that they do not take non-residents. Well do they mean non-resident... Read More
- 0Oct 2, '09 by makoaPhew-I wouldn't want grades from before to creep up on me. It's nice that KL2010 found out there's going to be 20 more seats, hopefully this will open a crevice for me to slither in. Waiting until August 2010 is so far from now, but I guess it will eventually come. I just wish they would end the suspense and put out some preliminary stats so we could at least figure out on our own where we stand. I'm retaking the NLN in January if I don't get in. I ran out of time on the first test and left 20 questions unanswered in the vocabulary--that's not going to happen to me again!!! I have a friend who's in the program, it's her 3rd semester and she says its rigid!!
- 0Oct 3, '09 by makoaMy friend who is in her third semester now had an NLN of 128 and a GPA of 3.4
Augiebear, how likely would it be that one could handle working at the same time.
Can you tell me what the clinical schedule is like.
My friend said the first semester it was twice a week for 8 weeks. The second semester was the same. I don't know what the third semester is like but if I can remember correctly it's 3x a week.
Can you tell me exactly what time they usually have you be there at the clinicals? I've heard as early as 6:00 am, is that true?
Have you taken your bath yet?
- 0Oct 3, '09 by LalaliaQuote from augiebearThanks for the reply. I guess I'll find out for KCC in the next few weeks for sure. I'll let you know! Won't know about UHM until Dec...I hope that by applying to both programs, I'll get in somewherelooks like I should learn how to read better..lol..so you did complete all your co-reqs also!! yup, your in!
Thanks again and good luck to everyone who applied for Spring 2009!!
- 0Oct 4, '09 by augiebearhey guys, as for working while in the KCC program..I think it would be super hard working full time..we have to go to our clinical site on our own after school, then do all this paper work for clinicals the next day.Clinicals are twice a week, right now our clinicals starts at 6:30 but the times are subject to change. we have thursdays off. Some work part time, I dont think anyone works full time. But it all depends how hard you are willing to work and how much sleep you want..lol
- 0Oct 4, '09 by KL2010Thanks, AugieBear for enligntening us about the "realities" of the program. Working sounds insane but I know we also have to eat. Years before I worked with another nursing student and we did home care making about $ 15.00 per/hour for short 4 hour shifts. I hear the pay is no longer that high. Not sure how to get that type of job now but we used to study while there, mostly while our elderly patient/client slept.
Doesn't seem like there are many of these jobs right now but cna's can still get some interesting hours and short shifts through nursefinders etc. Has anyone tried these ?
Lalalia : with your scores UH sounds like a winner and with only 1 more year for a bsn. I honestly don't know what you are worried about. But I do understand about the anxiety. Did you take pharmacology this past summer at KCC ?
These will be the longest 3 weeks ever. I think we get our letters after the 15th more like the 21st after what Wes, said. sigh !
- 0Oct 5, '09 by mcubed45i got my KCC acceptance last year first week of Nov IIRC... UHM came about a week later.
i know i had to send in my confirmation to KCC before i'd heard for UHM. i talked to Wes and he just told me to confirm w/ KCC and let them know ASAP if i got into UHM and would be attending there instead.Last edit by mcubed45 on Oct 5, '09
- 0Oct 5, '09 by Elizabeth K.Quote from augiebearAugie : Would you mind giving a typical end time to your days ? You say you normally start around 6:30 a.m. with that time subject to change. About what time do you leave the clinical site on average and about how much additional time do you spend on homework each evening? I guess this would also depend on whether or not you are taking any co-requisite courses. I'm curious to find out what your TOTAL time per day is spent on school-related activies. Mahalo!hey guys, as for working while in the KCC program..I think it would be super hard working full time..we have to go to our clinical site on our own after school, then do all this paper work for clinicals the next day.Clinicals are twice a week, right now our clinicals starts at 6:30 but the times are subject to change. we have thursdays off. Some work part time, I dont think anyone works full time. But it all depends how hard you are willing to work and how much sleep you want..lol