Inquiry about travel nursingRegister Today!
- by anticoagulationurse Jul 7, '06Hello - I'm wanting to take a travel nurse assignment in HI starting in October. Hope I will not be seen as a scab, from a couple of posts I've read. Does anyone have suggestions about which travel nursing companies have a good rep, best wage and compensation package? I would also like to know which companies to avoid.
If you don;t have this info, it would also be helpful to learn what areas are god to go to. From what I gather I wil try to avoid Oahu. But, I've seen job listings for Ewa Beach, Wilcox and Lihue. ANy words?
Thanks in advance!
- 3,527 Views
- Aug 4, '06 by bear611Wilcox I believe is on strike secondary to nurset. If it's listed for Ewa that would be working at St. Francis hosp, they are transitioning to new owners, the commute to town is harsh. DO NOT COME TO HILO MEDICAL CENTER. Theres nothing wrong with Honolulu, if your not paying rent and your working in town I.E. Queens, Kuakini, etc. I'm getting ready to go to your fair state for my first travel gig. I've lived in Hawaii for 25 years. Oh, be aware we are very cultrally diversified.
- Aug 7, '06 by anticoagulationurseCool thank you for the heads up. I really appreciate it. I have heard about the commute factor. Could be a problem since I won't have a car. Whereabouts' in WA are you coming? Not all parts of WA are lovely, in my opinion. I recommend anywhere on the Olympic peninsula and Puget Sound. Western WA is wonderful. Best pay is Seattle or near it, one of the loveliest spots is Northwestern WA near the islands. But also the least paying. What travel outfit are you going with?
- Aug 8, '06 by bear611Olympia is on the list as is seattle, we'll see if I get the interviews. Olympia would pay alot less BUT I have ohana in port townsend and outside of Ethel so it might be nice as a first time gig. But so would seattle or northern CA. I'm working with a couple of companies, Like both recruiters but I go with the one that gets. Have you made a decision yet?Aloha
- Aug 8, '06 by anticoagulationurseI used to live in Oly/Lacey area. Very nice. Port Townsend is great too.
I have decided for sure that I am going to pursue the travel stint in Hawaii. Just don't know what company to go with. I will probably be going NOV DEC JAN.
- Sep 3, '06 by CyberglenWhat is it that you don't like about Hilo Medical Center? My partner and I were thinking of relocating from California to Puna, and there is a job advertised at HMC. I haveheard your opinion expressed elsewhere, but have been unable to determine the source of the disastifaction.
- Sep 9, '06 by RN/MSN/JDQuote from anticoagulationurseI know a nurse who had h is car shipped over when he went to Hawaii.Cool thank you for the heads up. I really appreciate it. I have heard about the commute factor. Could be a problem since I won't have a car. Whereabouts' in WA are you coming? Not all parts of WA are lovely, in my opinion. I recommend anywhere on the Olympic peninsula and Puget Sound. Western WA is wonderful. Best pay is Seattle or near it, one of the loveliest spots is Northwestern WA near the islands. But also the least paying. What travel outfit are you going with?
- Sep 9, '06 by cardiacRN2006.....Last edit by cardiacRN2006 on Feb 22, '09
- Sep 12, '06 by anticoagulationurseNever thought of shipping the car. Too bad the car is worth only $500. I'd sooner ship my bike! haha. Was hoping to be able to walk, bike or bus to work while there. But thank you. Still wondering of anyone with experience with particular travel companies. Basically, I'll take what I can get but I don't want to get screwed either. Never traveled (nursing) before.
- Oct 8, '06 by jmkauaiThe Kauai strike is still going on, they are now posting for 26 week assignments to replace the striking nurses. Please don't come to Kauai yet. There will undoubtedly be positions when the strike settles since so many excellent nurses have moved on or will. Check www.HawaiiNurses.org for updates. Aloha