Starting Salary for VA LPNRegister Today!
- by hcra19 Oct 12, '12My husband is just starting all the paperwork for the VA. I was curious to know where everyone started on the pay scale.
My husband has been working as an LPN since Dec. 2011....so it will be right around a year when he finally starts at the VA.
He will be working in mental health at the VA and has been working as an LPN in metnal health since April 2012 (so for 9 months by the time he starts at the VA).
Any info will be great. I am trying to figure out if it will be a pay cut for him to work at the VA.
- Oct 20, '12 by tnbutterflyMoved to VA Nursing for more response.
- Oct 20, '12 by wish_me_lucktnbutterfly, I was just scanning the Virginia forum because that's where I am from. When I read this, I thought the OP was referring to the VA as in Veterans Affairs hospital, not Virginia. I could be wrong though. I hope I don't come off as being rude. My apologies if I do.
- Oct 21, '12 by LunahRNMoved to the Government/Military forum. Thanks!
- Oct 21, '12 by jeckrnSalaries at the VA vary depending on where the facility is located at. Generally VAsalaries start out on the low side for the area but over time end up beingbetter than what the local facilities are paying for the same experience.
- Oct 21, '12 by Lvn2002With experience working for the Government. I know that if you get direct hired, it is your first time working with the Government and first job offer you can negotiate your salary with experience before you accept the salary they offer. Good Luck.
- Oct 26, '12 by jeckrnQuote from Lvn2002Not always since your packet goes before a board and says what your grade and step will be. Alot depends on how bad they need to fill the position if they will negotiate. When there was a shortage you do this more often but not as much today. A Psych NP will have a better chance negotiating then a LPN but if you don't try they you get what they offer.With experience working for the Government. I know that if you get direct hired, it is your first time working with the Government and first job offer you can negotiate your salary with experience before you accept the salary they offer. Good Luck.
- Dec 22, '12 by navyvet13I just got seleced as a LPN to a locked down MH unit any advice if i start off on a high step?