Nurse II for VA clinic question
- 0Dec 9, '11 by Marshall1Before anyone "yells" at me...I looked through every post and every web site and googled all I can to get some information on what a Nurse II for a VA CLINIC can expect salary wise...some people quote as low as 42K, others as high as over 60K. The web sites for the VA are of not help and really don't explain to non-fed non-military people what the pay scales are like. ALL I want to know is if for a BSN w/21+ yrs experience, living in the Southeast would a salary of 55K be reasonable to expect?
Thank you ~
- 0Dec 10, '11 by jeckrnDepending on where in the SE you are located at will affect your salary. One way to get a idea of what you would make at the VA is see what nurses with the same amount of experience are making since each VA is set by the local market. I have been a RN for 12 years and on military leave from the VA in WNY and my salary is 64K as a Nurse 2, step 6. I have looked around the SE and some VA's a N2S6 makes more and others less.
- 0Dec 11, '11 by Marshall1Thanks for replying however I am not a military nurse - haven't ever been - so this is a question re: civilians hired as RN's for VA clinics - not hospitals...so I don't think your pay would be what a civilian nurse would make. I have looked for salaries but am unable to locate anything. I'll just find out when I find out I guess
- 0Dec 11, '11 by jeckrnQuote from Marshall1The pay was for when I was a civilian nurse with the VA not a military nurse. The VA does not have military nurses. The pay scale is the same for a clinic and hospital nurse. As I said each area bases their pay on the local area which is why knowing what the local hospitals pay will give you a idea of what the VA will pay. Do any of the hospitals in the area list their salary range? If they do that should be around the same range as the VA.Thanks for replying however I am not a military nurse - haven't ever been - so this is a question re: civilians hired as RN's for VA clinics - not hospitals...so I don't think your pay would be what a civilian nurse would make. I have looked for salaries but am unable to locate anything. I'll just find out when I find out I guess
- 0Dec 30, '11 by elprupI just applied for a VA clinic RN position in CA. I am not in military either. The job advertisement I applied from had the pay scale right on it. Also, I went further into the VA website and found the nurse job levels and what the VA requires to be able to perform and get paid at that level. I think I am RN 1 level 2 or 3 depending on how they rank me. Anyway, if you want to personal message me with city of VA clinic you are looking at I can try to find info for your area to help you. Finding things on the internet seems to be something I am good at.
For my area here in a very rural part of CA, the salary range for RN at the clinic I applied at was for a per diem position at $37-50/hr. I am hoping to get $40 or more if I get the job. I intereviewed yesterday and the VA already called my references today!!!! Although it is per diem, it would get my foot in the door!
- 0Dec 31, '11 by jeckrnMarshall your pay should be in the area of 25-35/hr depending on what level & step they give you. As a BSN with 21+ years you should be around a Nurse 2 Step 8-10 which is in the upper half of the Nurse 2 payscale.
As elprup post shows wages vary by area, a Nurse 1 Step 2 or 3 is for a ADN with 2 to 4 years of experience.
Hope you hear something soon about the position