- 0Jul 7, '13 by mingornHey all,
I am a prior service enlisted soldier who will be completing my RN to BSN this fall. My question is when should I start the commissioning process? Will I be able to start the process before I graduate? Is the Army still offering incentives to nurses?
- 1Jul 7, '13 by Pixie.RN Senior ModeratorQuote from mingornYou should try to come in with the critical care identifier -- 8A. If you have your CCRN, that's pretty much the gold standard. Nurses are still receiving incentive specialty pay (ISP) for specialty certifications, which is $20K/year. However, all bonuses can be discontinued at any time. Not sure about other incentives right now (tuition reimbursement, accession bonuses), but usually the ISP is bigger. Go here to find a recruiter: Locate Us | goarmy.com -- make sure you select AMEDD in the "area of interest" drop-down menu. Recruiters are spread thin and can be difficult to track down -- you have to be persistent. Good luck!!1 year MICU/SICU and 1 year OHRU. I am studying for my CCRN now.
- 0Jul 8, '13 by midinphxGood job! Get into the recruiter - yesterday!! It's a much lengthier process than enlisting. I know you are aware of the paper pushing and long wait. Get that CCRN! I'm AF ICU, working at BAMC (ok, SAMMC). I was enlisted army. I'm glad I get to work with all the army - miss it.
- 1Jul 10, '13 by Pixie.RN Senior ModeratorQuote from midinphxTotally thread-jacking, but are you still deployed or did you go back home? I was in BAF a few weeks ago for like ... 12 hours? LOL. Slept and left!Good job! Get into the recruiter - yesterday!! It's a much lengthier process than enlisting. I know you are aware of the paper pushing and long wait. Get that CCRN! I'm AF ICU, working at BAMC (ok, SAMMC). I was enlisted army. I'm glad I get to work with all the army - miss it.
- 1Jul 18, '13 by midinphxI was at BAF until June. I'm on leave in Phoenix now. Back to work and being moved to the Pediatric ICU when I back. Crazy! I'm an ER and ICU nurse. I guess all my years with peds in the ER will be put to use. Did too much peds in BAF. Stay safe out there Lunah - tell your people it's better to get down and feel stupid than to stay up and get hit! Army thinks they are too tough not to hit the dirt too often.