Info for any nurses attending Army Officer Basic Leaderhship CourseRegister Today!
- by 2LT66H Dec 10, '09I am currently a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army Nurse Corps and am about to finish the OBLC course here at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, TX. It has been a pretty fun 9 weeks and I actually blogged throughout my whole experience here. If you wish to know all about the course and what you do heres the link:
Good Luck to all of you future Army Nurses!!
- 2,452 Views
- Dec 10, '09 by Renee4christCool Beans!! thank you so much girl! this awesome! What choices did you get in duty stations?
- Dec 12, '09 by hopeful_army_NPI truly appreciate your blog, I have already read the whole thing! I have so many questions still, I sent you a PM whenever you get the time to respond. Congrats on everything and best wishes with the Nursing Track! I look forward to hearing more from you.
- Dec 12, '09 by 2LT66HDirect commissionees that come in as CPTs don't get any more leadership positions here than 2LTs. basically the first round of leadership goes to all prior service and then by the end leadership is comprised of all direct commissionees. They do not expect anything of you when you get here and they teach you everything you need to know about the military. And those that do know are a great resource. Just keep asking questions and no one will hold anything against you. You are allowed to take leave every weekend expect the last weekend which is TNCC (unless of course you are already certified). All you have to do is put in a leave pass by the wednesday before the weekend. I don't think you can leave during the week though unless it is an emergency. You can bring any medications, or supplements as long as they are legal. You are allowed to wear engagement rings and weddings bands. They suggest only bringing the wedding band to the field though. The biggest advice I can give is be ready to pass your PT test and height/weight when you come. Its not the end of the world if you don't but its a huge hassle to not have to worry about. I honestly didn't think I would go out on the weekends as much as I did. So I would have brought more civilian clothes. I would recommend bringing a PLAIN black backpack or ACU patterned backpack. The only other thing is get a beret and shave/shape it before you come. Try to find someone to help you or buy a preshaped/preshaved one. Its very noticeable part of the uniform and if it looks bad all the privates around here will notice.
Basically relax, everything you need to know will be taught to you and there will be plenty of other people brand new to the army as well. Good Luck!!!!!!!!
- Dec 12, '09 by hopeful_army_NPThanks! You have been a great resource.
Another question, how soon can I expect to receive some pay and BAH(hopefully sooner than later)? Also did you sign a lease for apt/housing at your new duty station prior to going to OBLC or during. I am still confused about finding housing and being ready to move while I'm in training for 9 weeks. I have a spouse and 3 children, we are all flexible and know how to go with the flow of life but still knowing were my family is going to live and getting settled in the 10 days we have between OBLC and reporting to your station is concerning me. Any advice, please let me know.