First off ejsmom, gratz on passing! I normally don't work the night shift, but have done a several. Depending on your facility staffing ratios, you will more than likely have 50 - 60 residents to take care. Now don't panic, at least 95% of them will be asleep the whole night, the remaining 5% will up late or went to sleep early and now are awake and so forth. There are med passes, tube feeds to change, flushes, treatments, linen carts to stock, med carts restocked, drugs reordered, vital signs, you may have one get combative with the aids or someone may go critical, and yes there are some that do pass in the night. Oh yeah, lets not for get charting and other paper work. You'll be busy, but not over whelmed. Depending on the facility hopefully there will be at least two nurses on duty, so you won't be by yourself.
At first this seems a bit much, but you will get a rythym down and it will become easier.
For the first several months, your gonna feel like you don't have a clue as to what your doing or if your even doing it right, every nurse goes through this. Don't let that discurage you, remember your a new nurse and you have a lot to learn, don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for help. Also I'm willing to bet that some of the more experienced nurses will seem harsh and cold to you, but don't give up because there are going to be several nurses that will go out of their way to help. You may even find one or two that will take you under their wings and teach you(use this to your advantage, they can teach you soooo much in a short time). Where I work at now I was very luck to find such a nurse, she was very patient and was eager to share her knowledge.
I hope this doesn't scare you too much.....LOL. But don't give up, be open to new ideas and suggestions, and above all....listen to your aids!!!!!! They are your eyes, ears and nose.