missing narcRegister Today!
- by fairyluv Apr 4i work 3-11, during the change of shift narc count, the 11-7 nurse noticed a missing med on one of the cards. we get the blister cards and they are numbered starting with 30 and work down to 1, I gave the med, which is a routine hs med. I gave it and punched the pill out of the proper slot which would have made the count 27. During our count the other nurse noticed a missing med from the #10 slot. I did not notice this earlier when I did my count with the 7-3 nurse. We looked all thru the med cart, took all the meds out of the drawers and both narc boxes,. searched the residents room, was not able to find the missing pill. So we called the DON and she told me that since I signed the book at the beginning of the shift and it is my responsibility I cant leave til that med is accounted for. Never found the med. so me and the other nurse had to write up a witness statement, and the DON said she would have to call the OLTC, DEA and the Police and I would probably be suspended. She is to call me tomorrow and let me know. I feel horrible that I missed that. I just skimmed over the card and seen there was a pill in the slot that coordinated with the count. MY BIG MISTAKE !!! I WILL NEVER DO THAT AGAIN !! my DON was nice about it, (I was in tears of course, being a new nurse and having the count be off is very overwhelming) But it really bothers me that I didn't notice it and the day shift nurse didn't notice it either. But since I signed the book and said the count was correct, I have to take responsibility for it. Which I do since it was found on my shift. It just really bothers me that I will be suspended. Another nurse friend of mine told me that something similar happened to her and it all worked out ok. they just reported it as a missing narc and she had to take a drug test and it all worked out OK and the SBON didn't take her Lic. or anything. But I'm still worried !
- Apr 4 by drowningdailyThat stinks. I think you will be okay. Was there a punch out like the narc was popped out? We have gotten cards from pharmacy with an empty hole that is still sealed. It came wrong and no one caught it for several days. Even if it is really missing, I doubt one missing pill will turn into a major fiasco. Just make sure you double check every narc. If you come up short again, that may raise a red flag.
- Apr 4 by WeepingAngelI agree with above poster, was it missing like someone punched it out of the card, or was it missing as in no med was ever there in the first place? I can't believe they are calling the police and the DEA and whoever else. I know narcs are a BFD but if it has been missing all this time it has been missed every shift for at least 3 days, if it's only given HS.
- Apr 4 by SuzieVNCount ten times if you have to. Or twenty- especially, if the leaving nurse is hurrying you. Once you have the key, it's your loss, if there's a problem. When you receive from the pharmacy- make sure also there's a pill in ever bubble. Last place I was at, hospice supplied their pills in big bottles, of 100+ pills. The nurses taped the caps on, because they got tired of counting all those loose pills. ******* them off big time when I insisted, no way- we are counting those...I've seen 'so' many nurses get screwed by a narcotic count, it's amazing- and it keeps happening all the time. And if a nurse wants to divert, they will think of a way, believe that. Volunteer to be drug tested at any time, with no notice. And yes, get the hell out of there- that DON is one wave short of a shipwreck.Last edit by Silverdragon102 on Apr 4 : Reason: changed to all **
- Apr 4 by JustBeachyNurseduplicate threads merged.
- Apr 4 by fairyluvthe back was pushed in, but the bubble part was never crushed. looked like someone just put there thumb thru the back of it...and believe me I have been looking for another job....just haven't had much luck yet. I called them earlier to see if I was suspended and they told me I was 'clear' to come in. i guess since they got me on the schedule to work for the next 6 days a warm body on the floor and an extra name on the paper is better than suspending me
- Apr 4 by fairyluvif the on coming nurse had his/her hands on the cards, and you had the ledger, the pill may well be in his/her pocket.
that did cross my mind as well. but i really dont think this nurse would have done that. She offered to even say we wasted it. But like a dumbass that I am wanting to do the right thing, i told her no, would have saved me a sleepless night and a headache if I did. lol...but my damn conscious gets in the way every damn time. damn that concious.
- Apr 4 by WeepingAngelQuote from fairyluvSounds about right, for LTC. Unfortunately.the back was pushed in, but the bubble part was never crushed. looked like someone just put there thumb thru the back of it...and believe me I have been looking for another job....just haven't had much luck yet. I called them earlier to see if I was suspended and they told me I was 'clear' to come in. i guess since they got me on the schedule to work for the next 6 days a warm body on the floor and an extra name on the paper is better than suspending me