Good books on conversing with Alzheimers & dementia pts?Register Today!
- by Spring_Peeper Apr 14, '06Hello all,
In my training I read a little about using validation therapy when conversing with pts with Alzheimers and dementia. Can anyone recommend good books on this subject, or just communicating with these pts in general?
Thanks in advance!
- Apr 14, '06 by romieI really really enjoyed reading The Validation Breakthrough by Naomi Feil. There is also VF Validation,also by Naomi Feil. Ms. Feil also conducts workshops internationally and has a website that gives more information about the Validation technique, www.vfvalidation.org. There are also some dated videos as well, but you have to order them through the website. It is a wonderful, wonderful method! Good luck
- Apr 14, '06 by michelle126I've never read the books, but might be intersted now.
I've worked in LTC and dealt with many a alz pt. #1 rule....do not argue with them. Do not be confrontational. Take the cues from them. If they call you mom....you are mom to them. Re approach if they are becoming to confused or agitated. Keep everything simple. Very simple and as few steps as possible. Remember that things will change from minute to minute. One minute you have thier attention, the next you don't. There are good days and bad days. Above all, when caring for dementia pts remember that they are human, they are someones mother, dad, sister, brother......
- Apr 14, '06 by Nurse RatchedBottom line for validation theory is looking for the underlying emotional content. Pt is looking for mother (who has no doubt been dead for 30 years) - the response is not, "Your mother has been dead for 30 years," but rather acknowledging the insecurity that causes someone to look for a source of safety like mother; "It's scary sometimes when we're among strangers. I'll help you. (smile)" Simplistic, I know, but it works. Reality orientation can be cruel for those who can't process it.
- Apr 20, '06 by Spring_PeeperJust wanted to say thanks for all the replies. I ordered Naomi Feil's book (Validation Breakthrough), just got it in the mail yesterday. It's terrific. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
- Apr 20, '06 by donmomofninethat book is a GREAT resource!