Are you a real nurse?

  1. just a vent... Has this happened to you. When you tell people you are a nurse, They ask "Which hospital?" when I tell them I work in a nursing home.. they elude to the fact that I'm not really a nurse. or that I didn't know they have RNs their. What I really can't stand is other nurses (who work in acute) eluding to what a terrible place a nursing home is or that the nurses who work their do so because they wouldn't be able to cut it in a hospital.
    Sorry for the vent... my biggest peeve is when sending a res to the hosp. The ER nursed talk to you like your 2 yrs old. I got sooo peeved last night when the nurse started giving me crap about getting another pt from a nursing home... I just said "listen Honey, I'm sending Mr so and so and I'd like to give you report....

    One more pet peeve..... Lately (thank goodnes) there been a movement for more legislation concering OT and mandatory OT. This has been in the news like crazy... The story always talks about hospital nurses... nothing said about staffing in nursing homes. ***** I think it is probably much worse in LTC, but its just a little secret. Anyone seeing LTC nursed joining the fight? I know I'd like to. Sorry for the rant.
    Michelle
    •  
  2. 44 Comments

  3. by   itsme
    Michelle, I agree with you. I am a nurse in LTC and have been "bashed" by certain hospital nurses, not all are like that, thank goodness! But it is those same nurses who will call after an admit of a resident and ask "are they always confused" "how do you get them to take there pills" etc... I have a great respect for all nurses, but those who think less of me because i choose LTC can just bite me!! I have worked in both hospital and nursing home, and I will be a proud LTC nurse forever!! Just like not everyone is made out for LTC nursing, not everyone is made out for hospital nursing either!!!
  4. by   Disablednurse
    I guess I have been lucky, because when I told people that I worked in LTC, they always said that I was wonderful to be able to work with all those old people. I had an ER doc call to the nursing home and tell me that we needed to come and get a 100 year old hip fx resident in our van because they did not think that she needed ambulance service. I politely told him that they needed to bring her back as we could not get her in the van. He got smart with me and wanted my DNSs name, I told him and told him that in my professional opinion she needed to be brought back in an ambulance. They wheeled her back (with a dx of dehydration) in a wheelchair in 105 degree heat index. It was absolutely ridiculous. Can you beat that?
  5. by   tattooednursie
    I have been told, "OH, I thought that you were a real CNA in a REAL hospital." and "So, it must be an easy job. all you have to do is change bed pans!"
    I was ticked. Anyone who thinks that can kiss my big bum! lol.
  6. by   sassynurse78
    I have run into this problem to, not only from sending out residents to the hosp and giving report to the ER nurse but also by EMT's picking up the person. But I like what I do, and you know everyone becomes experienced in their own areas. I have worked with nurses from other areas of nursing who are totally lost in LTC.
  7. by   nursedawn67
    Originally posted by sassynurse78
    I have run into this problem to, not only from sending out residents to the hosp and giving report to the ER nurse but also by EMT's picking up the person. But I like what I do, and you know everyone becomes experienced in their own areas. I have worked with nurses from other areas of nursing who are totally lost in LTC.
    I have experienced this too...and it totally stinks! Alot of us get it twice...not only for being in LTC but for being "only" and LPN. One resident in my LTC facility said "oh your not an RN, why didn't you tell me your not a real nurse!" I stated very politely "I Know it hasn't always been this way and that RN's did all this type of work, but now LPN's do it too."
  8. by   Rapheal
    Why is there a rivalry? I noticed this too. I work in a hospital and when we d/c a patient to LTC the nurse was very rude to me. I called to give her report and basically had to beg her to take the resident back. Maybe she had been treated rude by some hospital nurses, I don't know.

    Anyways, I think LTC nurses are great. We had a patient who was D/C'd to hospice and 2 of the LTC nurses came to visit her in the hospital before she went to hospice. You could tell they really loved the lady. IMHO I think nice people make nice nurses, rude people make rude nurses, no matter where they nurse.
  9. by   Rustyhammer
    To be a nurse in LTC one must have the assessment skills of an ER triage nurse, the ability to recommend tx's and meds to the most stubborn of docs, the ability to deal with families, other facilities like a social worker, the supervisory skills of a nurse manager, and the ability to work the floor like the most seasoned bedside nurse.
    If you haven't worked LTC, it is difficult to understand all that goes on in a typical shift.
    Not everyone can do it.
    -Russell
  10. by   duckie
    Originally posted by Rustyhammer
    To be a nurse in LTC one must have the assessment skills of an ER triage nurse, the ability to recommend tx's and meds to the most stubborn of docs, the ability to deal with families, other facilities like a social worker, the supervisory skills of a nurse manager, and the ability to work the floor like the most seasoned bedside nurse.
    If you haven't worked LTC, it is difficult to understand all that goes on in a typical shift.
    Not everyone can do it.
    -Russell


    As a 22 year LTC LN, I thank you for your statement and obvious understanding of what we really do!!! There are all kinds of nursing for all kinds of nurses. We are all important and we matter to those we care for. Thanks Rusty!!!!
  11. by   Rnltc
    I have worked both sides and each have their own rewards. I am a DNS and I always try and explain the details of being a LTC nurse to applicants who have only worked acute care. The peaceful reward I get is when these individuals can't even make through two weeks. They just can't handle not having a physican around 24/7 and support staff to pull from other floors. They can not multi-task.
    LTC nursing is a very special field of its own. Not all can handle it. We are the forgotten ones. But with each day that passes someone has smiled upon us........
  12. by   BBFRN
    Originally posted by Rnltc
    I have worked both sides and each have their own rewards. I am a DNS and I always try and explain the details of being a LTC nurse to applicants who have only worked acute care. The peaceful reward I get is when these individuals can't even make through two weeks.
    Why is that a reward?? Don't you WANT to keep the staff you hire?
  13. by   joyflnoyz
    Rusty, may I have your permission to print out your response and take it to work? It would be a great boost to the other nurses!

    Sandy
  14. by   nurse2002
    Originally posted by lgflamini
    Why is that a reward?? Don't you WANT to keep the staff you hire?
    I was wondering the same thing?????????????????

close