What is the one thing that turns your stomach? - Page 2Register Today!
- Nov 15, '12 by FDW630Quote from mclennanOh gosh. Gotta say, I haven't come across bugs yet. I did have a patient in my hall under lock and key for scabies a few weeks ago, but he wasnt mine so I didnt actually see. I stayed miles away from his room.Lice, scabies, and other assorted vermin/critters freak me out. I worked in a homeless people's clinic for 4 years and saw days-old gunshot & stab wounds, drained baseball-sized MRSA boils, cleaned and dressed abscessed needle tracks without a flinch. But I never got used to the huge, "mature" lice that lived on many of my patients. Fleas too. And once I pulled a dead, ashen cockroach out of an old guy's ear, and nearly puked/fainted. He sure could hear better after that though.
- Nov 15, '12 by BuckyBadgerRNEye injuries. *shudder*
- Nov 15, '12 by nursebeachbumVomit I can't do vomit. To hear the act of vomiting ....to smell the vomit. It doesn't matter if it is pediatric vomit, drunk vomit or geriatric vomit. I will be right their with you puking. I once traded disimpacting a patients for cleaning up puke. I can do everything aspect of nursing but that
- Nov 15, '12 by PalmHarborMomI can handle the sights and smells of pretty much anything.... BUT the sound of someone gagging and hacking while they are trying to or actively throwing up makes me want to hurl! My stomach will ache, my mouth waters and I either have to walk away or run because I will be right next to them throwing up if I stay there!
- Nov 16, '12 by CannondaleRNColostomy care makes me dry heave. Stuff coming out trachs is pretty awful, too.
- Nov 16, '12 by MrPopeyeFor ME, it's mucus. Not your normal sputum, but the thick, chunky stuff. The stuff that clogs up suction tubes and you have to pull them out and pull it off so you can suction again.
That and oral issues. Nothing like checking mucous membranes and the 7 teeth they have left are rotting out of their skull.
- Nov 16, '12 by Katie71275I can handle pretty much anything I think....except for colostomy bags.
I've also recently gotten to watch circumcisions as a nurse tech in the NICU, and although I can handle it...it bothers me.
Quote from FDW630Surely everyone has at least one thing that they can't handle. Maybe you can do blood and guts and poo, but the smell of pee gets you? What is the one thing that messes you up? Did you know going in to school that it was going to be your weakness, or were you surprised when you ran out of the room the first time?
Mine is ortho. I can take all the nursing smells and sights, but I will hit the floor if I hear bones crunching or grinding. I can see them, no problem. But the chiseling/grinding sounds of ortho surgeries...shudder! Even fake TV sounds get me.