What are clinicals all about????Register Today!
- by BucklandRN Aug 25, '04What do you do during your clinicals? and do you start clinicals in your first year of nursing school?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=76978©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- Aug 25, '04 by Christina_NICUI start on the 30th so I am not sure exactly what clinicals are like, but I am getting my BSN and we start clinicals on the 6 week of the semester. I'm not sure about the other 4 semesters, we might start sooner since this is the first semester and we need an orientation for it.
Quote from BucklandRNWhat do you do during your clinicals? and do you start clinicals in your first year of nursing school?
- Aug 25, '04 by chris_at_lucas_RNClinicals is going to a nursing unit and doing things for patients that you have learned in class, and some things you probably didn't learn but can figure out (like straightening a bed or getting them a drink or helping them to the bathroom).
You also get some info about your patient (you start with one and then build up from there) the day before, and you go home and work up a treatment plan, complete with nursing diagnosis (special and different from the medical one--makes more sense and is more patient centered, rather than disease-process centered). You look up the drugs your patient is prescribed, because it is important to know about drugs. You might look up lab values, so you can look and see how those of your patient compare with the "normal" values.
It's really very cool, if you like taking care of patients. If you didn't, you wouldn't be a nursing student, right?
Not to worry about this just yet. They'll give you plenty of time. Just enjoy absorbing everything you can now.
Ah, the joys of the first few weeks....
- Aug 26, '04 by BucklandRNSo you begin clinicals fairly shortly after your first semester of nursing school, or do you take your clinicals in the last year? I'm sure you have to accumulate a little knowledge before they hit you with clinicals...
- Aug 26, '04 by All_Smiles_RNI started class this week. We start clinicals in 2 months.
- Aug 26, '04 by earthnurseI'm in school for my LPN so I don't know about RN but we started clinicals in our 2nd 1/4. (sfter 3 months of class work.) We are at long-term care facilities first and then we go to the hospitals. We have to do daily assessments, and care plans.
- Aug 26, '04 by BucklandRN:spin: okay, so fairly soon afterwards then... okay so coming up with a care plan, do you collaborate with doctors, or do you do like case studies and tell what you would do and give the patient in a particular situation and like present it to the professor. its pretty much like on the job training right? what if you make a mistake? do you have a parter in all of this?:uhoh21: Does that count against you? do you actually treat patients under supervised conditions? is there anything that we do ourselves without direct supervision besides paperwork?Last edit by BucklandRN on Aug 26, '04