Virtual Clinical ExcursionsRegister Today!
- by Tracey2bRN Jan 21, '07Do any of you have to do Virtual Clinical Excursions? If so, what do you think of them? We have to do them for class and we are all having problems with them. Right now we are doing the pediatric ones and several of the lessons are really messed up. I have heard that a lot of the schools that tried them have thrown them out because of this. I would love to hear some other opinions!!
- 13,471 Views
- Jan 21, '07 by mommapunkinOMG!!! I HATE those VCE's!!!! Everyone in class absolutely lothes them!! They are hard as heck and usually have nothing to do with what we are studying. My teacher last semester didn't include them on the syllabus and therefore could not enforce the S/U grade on them. So everyone just put what they wanted. This semester its the same about the syllabus sitation but different teacher, I may put a little more effort into it this time around. They are dumb though. Busy work if you ask me. For the first few times my class ever did them, everyone was spending hours on them trying to find the correct answers, it was absurd. I say ask your teacher what he/she expects then you can answer the questions better. Best of luck to you!
- Jan 21, '07 by tookewlandyAre you talking about the virtual clinical excursions that come with Med Surge book(Igantavicius)???
- Jan 21, '07 by RN_JenMy school used the pediatric virtual excursion and we really liked it. Except for the fact that everything has to be done in real time, I thought it was a pretty cool program. :spin:
- Jan 21, '07 by onduty23it came with my book. never got into. is it helpful?
- Jan 22, '07 by Tracey2bRNIt's the same thing that you are talking about that probably came with your book, but instead of Med-Surg, this is Peds.
The MEd-surg ones weren't too bad, but I don't think I learned anything from them. They took a lot of time and I feel that I could've better spent that time reading. The Peds ones are ridiculously hard and not well organized. They will tell you to sign into period of care 2 and watch a video and then answer questions related to the video, but since it's in real time, you might have to wait 30 minutes for the video to appear. BUT...they told you the wrong period of care, so you have to go into other periods of care and wait 30 minutes and see if the video ever appears. It'll say at the beginning of the exercise that it should take 20 minutes, but the video won't appear until you've been on the floor for 30 minutes, so how can that be?
At the end you have to print off the evaluation to show that you haven't made med errors and that you checked the patient's armband, etc., but they have misspelled some of the names of the meds in the program that checks your work, so even if you have it right, it counts it wrong. (example, morphine prints out morpine on the evaluation check sheet and since you gave the patient morphine (spelled correctly on the MAR) you fail. GRRRRR!!!
We are all frustrated and understand that the instructors want to see tangible evidence that we've been studying, but we would rather write a paper or have a pop quiz or do workbook pages because we are all so fed up with these.
The program in theory is a wonderful idea, but I wish we could d/c them until the kinks are worked out.
(We have 5 due on Thursday, it took me approximately 30 hours to complete them, mostly because of program errors, and now I'm behind on my reading.)
I was just wondering what others think about them.
- May 1, '08 by Arrghh_NnnnQuote from Tracey2bRNI hate them so much! Total waste of money and time. Skills labs with senarios are sooooo much better because you actually have to practice your skills and think through the crisis or task at hand.Do any of you have to do Virtual Clinical Excursions? If so, what do you think of them? We have to do them for class and we are all having problems with them. Right now we are doing the pediatric ones and several of the lessons are really messed up. I have heard that a lot of the schools that tried them have thrown them out because of this. I would love to hear some other opinions!!
Hate VCE's with 2 snaps up in a Z formation!
- May 1, '08 by GeauxNursingwe have to do them, too. i don't really care for them.
- May 1, '08 by bekindtokittensAn absolute waste of time AND money. We had to get the OB/Peds program and it's very frustrating waiting for the correct time to watch a video, and then the questions asked about the video have no relevance to the topic. I just started answering those problem questions with "nothing was said about this topic".