Tell us about yourself.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by LaurynI was reading in the General Discussion BB, where one of the regulars asked everyone to tell us a little bit about themselves. It is a great idea! We are mostly students in here, and we need to get a little background on each other, instead of just the regular whining that we seem to do! I will start. My name is Angie and I am about to beging my third and final year of nursing school. I live in Canada, but plan on relocating to Florida soon after writing my RN's. I have three children. Two boys (5 & 3) , and a little girl (2months). I had my daughter in the last three weeks of second year. Yeesh! My husband is fantastic and has stuck with me for the last ten years. I figure if he sticks around while I am in school....then we are doing all right! When I graduate....I wanna new navy blue Jetta!
Let's get to know each other a little better. Cheers!
- 0Jun 6, '01 by Robin61970I live in Ft. Smith AR and just started my prereqs. I have 2 full time kids and 2 part time kids. Full time( Stephen 6 and Brittany 2) and part time(Audry 8 and Wesley 6) The youngest is a girl. Right now I have all of them for 6 weeks at home with me during the day....I can't seem to get any studying done,lol. I am married and have been for 1 1/2 years. Can't wait to get settled in school in the fall when the kids will be in Daycare and school during the day,lol. Thats about it....RobinKimberling@yahoo.com if anyone wants my email
- 0Jun 6, '01 by deliriumThis is a great idea.
My name is Rebecca and I live on Solomons Island in southern Maryland. I am 24 years old and am starting my second year of nursing school this fall. (That is the second of three, as an ADN program is usually 3 years rather than 2).
I don't have any children *yet*, but I do have a very supportive partner, and together we are buying our home... I'm with you, Lauryn, when I graduate I'm giving up my old volvo and getting something newer.
I'd really like to work in oncology once I graduate.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by NrswannabHi, all! I'm a 35 years old, married, and have two sons, ages 11 and 10. I live in the Northeast Atlanta suburbs and will attend North Georgia College and State University in the fall for the ASN program. I currently work full time, as well as take pre-req classes at a two-year college.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by mcg02HI TO ALL I IVE IN ATLANTA AND I ATTEND THE SCHOOL OF NURISNG AT THE MEDICAL COLLEGE OF GEORGIA ABOUT 2 HOURS AWAY. I AM SINGLE WITH NO KIDS AND 21 YEARS OLD. THIS WILL BE MY SENIOR YEAR THIS COMING FALL AND I AM SO GLAD. CURRENTLY I AM DOING A NURSE EXTERNSHIP AT A CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL IN THE AREA FOR THE SUMMER.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by peaceful2100Hi My name is Tonya. I am 21 years old and a single mom to a sweet little girl who is 3 years old. In December 2000 I earned my assoicate's degree in Liberal arts which I am very proud of because I started college in August 1998. I then transferred to a four year university back in January 2001 and started working on my BSN. I will be a junior in August and I will graduate from nursing school in May 2003. I plan to work for 2-3 years then go on to graduate school to work on my Master's degree in nursing and become a Pediatric Nurse practitioner and open up my own clinic by the time I am 30-31 particulary in the underserved parts of the community I am in and the spanish population, my minor is in Espanol (Spanish). I recently started a new job 3 weeks ago as a care assistant in a cardiology clinic in a children's hospital and I love working with the kids they are wonderful. I am going to transfer to the inpatient setting of the children's hospital I work at once school starts back up. Take care everyone.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by shyviolet78I live in a suburb of Dallas/Ft. Worth. I'm in my first year of pre-reqs for a BSN degree. I'm taking my pre-reqs at a junior college and transfering to a university in 2003. I'm 22, married, no kids of my own, but I have a stepson who is 8. I also have two cats that are nothing but trouble, but I wouldn't trade 'em for anything ! I was just offered a job today as a Unit Tech in the CCU of a large Dallas hospital, so I'm on cloud 9 about that! CCU is the area I'm interested in after graduation. I'm also interested in going to grad school to become a CRNA, but that's a LONG way down the road.
- 0Jun 6, '01 by LaurynIt is so interesting to find out how old everyone is, what level of school they are at, and some background about your family. Keep them coming guys! Every single one of us in here that is working thru nursing school deserves a pat on the back. We all seem to have so many other things going on in our lives.....whether we are married, single, working, kids, no kids...etc...and yet still manage school. Cheers to us!
- 0Jun 6, '01 by AppyHorseFanLauryn...glad you did this just for us students!!! Well, it appears that I am the oldest to post thus far...I'm 38, divorced with two children (son 10 and daughter 5). I started my pre-reqs 3 years ago, after leaving my ex. I have been attending a community college and junior college to get to where I'm at now. I will graduate in August with an Associates Degree in Liberal Arts and then 10 days after graduation will start the ADN at a community college. I may eventually go for my BSN, but I need to get to work first and I still have a semester worth of pre-reqs to take for that. I have worked off and on while doing pre-reqs, mainly on-campus jobs (tutoring, lab assistant, etc.), but will not work while in the program. I'll just live on PELL grants and loans for the next 2 years and hope to be able to feed my young 'uns...LOL. the first two materialistic items on my list after graduation are a new home for me and the kiddos and a Ford Explorer/Expedition or Dodge Durango!!! OOOHHH, to think of car payments again, YUCK!!! I've told my mom to start saving, I want a cruise for a graduation present!!
Good luck everyone and have a great program!!
- 0Jun 7, '01 by RN-2-BEHello fellow nursing students. Thought I'd join the club
I, ironically, just turned 24 yesterday! I have been working on my pre-req's for nursing since August, 1998. Needless to say, I have another good year of pre-req's to go considering I've had to do everything part-time. I live on my own with my wonderful boyfriend, who doesn't have a clue yet as to what is in store once I do begin the the actual nursing clinicals, hahaha! I will attend Lewis University here in Illinois. It's a very well-known and acceptional nursing school to say the least. I will be ditching my 8-5 downtown job in the following weeks and begin a new position at a local hospital in the med/surg unit as a PCA. Money stinks, but the knowledge and experience will help me tremendously once I do hop into my nursing school clinicals. I have never been so excited making such little money. I would eventually like to work in labor & delivery or pediatrics. Although, not planning on pursuing my masters after I receive my BSN because I hope to be close if not already married and starting a family. I have thought that once my children are grown I would like to become a perinatal specialist, although I'm still living through the nursing honeymoon and have yet to see what the real world is like. As for materials when I'm through. Loved the Jetta wish, but I really want a Honda Accord or Nissan Maxima with power everything and CD disc changer so I can sing away with my favorite singer Faith Hill!
I wish you all the very best and know you can come here to vent, laugh, cry, during and after your journey on becoming a nurse!
All smiles and good wishes to all