Sierra College Students

  1. Hi out there!

    I'm just looking for anyone who is currently a Sierra College nursing student. I want your thoughts on how you think the program is working. Do you like where your clinicals are held? Are your instructors helpful? I'm working through my prereqs now and want to be prepared!

    Also, maybe I can hook up with anyone who is taking Chem 2A in the Fall (at Rocklin) to study with!

    Consider me eager and naive!

    •  
  2. 7 Comments

  3. by   rayniedae
    Hi,

    I am GOING to be a Sierra College nursing student. I begin on August 23, 2004. I was actually looking to see if I could find any other students that will be starting at the same time as I am. I have never attended Sierra before. I completed my prerequisites at several other colleges.

    I took Chemistry last summer, it was a tough class, but very interesting. Then I decided I would take Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology in the spring. That was a VERY difficult semester! But it paid off. I got accepted the first semester I applied! I hear about people having to wait for SO long!

    Good luck with your studies. I would be happy to fill you in on how the program progresses if you are interested (once I know whats going on!)

    Alisha
  4. by   TweetiePieRN
    Hey!! I am a Sierra graduate!!! Finally, some people on allnurses who go to my school!
  5. by   rayniedae
    Hey...congratulations on finishing nursing school. How exciting for you. Ahhh....to be done with school!

    How did you like the program and instructors at Sierra? Was it well organized? What hospitals do you do your clinical rotations at? I only have about 10 million questions, but I won't bother you with all of them...it would make for a REALLY long e-mail.

    Good luck on your NCLEX exam! I am sure you will do great...seems like everyone from Sierra passes.
  6. by   TweetiePieRN
    Quote from rayniedae
    Hey...congratulations on finishing nursing school. How exciting for you. Ahhh....to be done with school!

    How did you like the program and instructors at Sierra? Was it well organized? What hospitals do you do your clinical rotations at? I only have about 10 million questions, but I won't bother you with all of them...it would make for a REALLY long e-mail.

    Good luck on your NCLEX exam! I am sure you will do great...seems like everyone from Sierra passes.
    Hi! This is actually pretty exciting writing to someone who will go thru exactly what i just did!! I really enjoyed the program at Sierra. MOST of the instructors are wonderful! There are a select few that have issues. I won't post them publicly in case they visit this site also.

    I felt that 80% of the program was organized well. The other 20% was due to the administration. I personally did my rotations at Sierra Nevada Hosp in Grass Valley, Sutter Roseville in Roseville, Kaiser Morse Ave in Sacramento, Roseville Convalescent in Roseville, Heritage Oaks in Sacramento. The other hospitals we would use included: Auburn Faith in Auburn, Kaiser Roseville in Roseville, Marshall Hospital in Placerville, Sutter downtown, and Sutter psych in sacramento.

    You should be proud to be going to Sierra for many reasons. There are 99 nursing schools in California and only 3 of those schools passed with a 100% NCLEX pass rate. Sierra was one of those 3! Sierra is well-respected in the area. Our school does a really good job of preparing us for the role of RN. I am sooooo excited for you! It goes by really fast. I take my NCLEX next week and still cannot believe I am already done with school! Good luck to u!! Write back if you have questions. I dont mind!!
  7. by   Lilme04
    Hi Alisha,

    Thanks for replying! I start Human Development tonight (In fact I have to leave in an hour!). I can't wait to hear what you think of everything. Maybe we can meet up at the College sometime?!

    Good luck to you too!

    Laura

    Quote from rayniedae
    Hi,

    I am GOING to be a Sierra College nursing student. I begin on August 23, 2004. I was actually looking to see if I could find any other students that will be starting at the same time as I am. I have never attended Sierra before. I completed my prerequisites at several other colleges.

    I took Chemistry last summer, it was a tough class, but very interesting. Then I decided I would take Anatomy, Physiology, and Microbiology in the spring. That was a VERY difficult semester! But it paid off. I got accepted the first semester I applied! I hear about people having to wait for SO long!

    Good luck with your studies. I would be happy to fill you in on how the program progresses if you are interested (once I know whats going on!)

    Alisha
  8. by   Lilme04
    Thanks SO much for writing back! I am very glad to know that Sierra has a good nursing program!

    I see that you got to did a rotation at Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital. I live like a mile from there! Can you tell me which rotation it was? I've been a patient there once, and my father was a while back. I have liked everyone I've met there. I'm hoping to do a job shadow in the LDR department there sometime. (Though I am really interested in becoming a NICU nurse).

    Thanks again for yuour info and congrats to you on finishing school and good luck with the Exam! Let us know how it went!

    Laura


    Quote from TweetiePieRN
    Hi! This is actually pretty exciting writing to someone who will go thru exactly what i just did!! I really enjoyed the program at Sierra. MOST of the instructors are wonderful! There are a select few that have issues. I won't post them publicly in case they visit this site also.

    I felt that 80% of the program was organized well. The other 20% was due to the administration. I personally did my rotations at Sierra Nevada Hosp in Grass Valley, Sutter Roseville in Roseville, Kaiser Morse Ave in Sacramento, Roseville Convalescent in Roseville, Heritage Oaks in Sacramento. The other hospitals we would use included: Auburn Faith in Auburn, Kaiser Roseville in Roseville, Marshall Hospital in Placerville, Sutter downtown, and Sutter psych in sacramento.

    You should be proud to be going to Sierra for many reasons. There are 99 nursing schools in California and only 3 of those schools passed with a 100% NCLEX pass rate. Sierra was one of those 3! Sierra is well-respected in the area. Our school does a really good job of preparing us for the role of RN. I am sooooo excited for you! It goes by really fast. I take my NCLEX next week and still cannot believe I am already done with school! Good luck to u!! Write back if you have questions. I dont mind!!
  9. by   TweetiePieRN
    Quote from Lilme04
    Thanks SO much for writing back! I am very glad to know that Sierra has a good nursing program!

    I see that you got to did a rotation at Sierra Nevada Memorial Hospital. I live like a mile from there! Can you tell me which rotation it was? I've been a patient there once, and my father was a while back. I have liked everyone I've met there. I'm hoping to do a job shadow in the LDR department there sometime. (Though I am really interested in becoming a NICU nurse).

    Thanks again for yuour info and congrats to you on finishing school and good luck with the Exam! Let us know how it went!

    Laura
    The rotation was for Med-surg back during 1st semester. LDR dept and NICU are very hard for new grads to get into for many reasons. First off, everyone wants to be there. Second, these depts have a high retention rate. So basically people will go work in these depts until they retire!! So then there is no space for newcomers. Third, most hospitals in this area want an experienced nurse before they would hire a new grad. Sierra Nev. especially!! The LDR dept is so small there that they are never needing any new nurses in that dept.

close