So I have a small dilemma right now. I got into an ADN program starting this fall. I also got on the waitlist for a BSN program to start this fall. I really want to go ahead and get my BSN because eventually I want to get my MSN and become a Nurse Practitioner. I feel like if I don't get accepted into the BSN program and start the ADN program this fall it would be a waist of time because it is going to take me two years to get my ADN and it will also take me two years to get my BSN at this point. If I do get my ADN I will have to go back and get my BSN and it will take at least another year of school. So should I not start my ADN this fall and apply again for the BSN to start Spring 10' or should I just start the Adn program this fall. I was also wondering If I could start the Adn program this fall so I won't loose my place, then apply for the BSN program to start in spring and transfer out of the ADN to the BSN program. I was also thinking I could just start over in spring if I can't trasnfer my ADN credits to a BSN program after one semester. I just want to be done as soon as possible and if I can go ahead and get my BSN without getting my RN first that would be wonderful! I know I have alot of thoughts going through my mind, thats why I need your help! Thanks for listening!!:spin:
Jun 29, '09
It seems like you are very particular on receiving your BSN. If you don't want to wait, then don't. If you can take a semester off, then do it. It all depends on how much time have, and how much time you are willing to use. If you get your ADN, you can bridge in a year, and those are mostly online, so that way you can work while obtaining your BSN. So, you're looking at 3 years in total for your RN-BSN. It all depends. I was in a similar situation. I could either go and get my ADN, or wait and take chances of trying to get accepted into a BSN program. For me it was smarter to just do BSN because I've already been in college for 4 years, and I'm about to be 23 and I have a son so I need to be able to make some money. Education is endless, you can always keep going forever. It just depends on what you have. Nobody says that just because you have your ADN that means you cant get your NP. It is just going to take a little longer, but it doesnt mean its not doable. Good luck and just weigh your options.
Jun 29, '09
I can understand completely what you are going through. I wanted to do the ADN instead of LVN, but didnt get one of my prereqs done in time to apply. I really thought about just waiting and apply for the ADN, BUT I just decided that its a year away and why not do the LVN while I am waiting? Makes no sense to me to wait, when I can be doing something productive! Its tough to make those choices though, and I wish you the best!