Nusing School computerRegister Today!
- by mcbtny9 May 8What is better to use for nursing school? A Laptop, MAC Book, or iPad?
- 619 Views
- May 8 by aubgurlI actually have both but the only reason I do is because I already had my lap top. I use my computer to do all of my paperwork. I use iPod mini for everything else! That being said, you can buy a blue tooth keyboard for the iPad or mini which are great!
- May 9 by HouTxIf you can only obtain one device, I would recommend getting a laptop. You need to be able to connect to your school's electronic resources/network in order to accomplish things like searching the library, literature searches, administrative tasks, etc. It is unlikely that all of those resources will be available via a mobile app so that they can be accessed via tablets. I would also urge you to analyze platform compatibility to see whether you will be able to do everything with an Apple device because that operating system has some serious deficits - like not being able to run any flash-based applications. Android tablets are much less expensive but just as versatile & have more free apps. If you really want a versatile but inexpensive tablet, consider the (Android) Kindle HD Fire - although it's native state is connection to the Amazon marketplace, it can easily be configured to download & run general Android apps (Google play store) ... and, it's less than $300.
I realize that everyone is iPad crazy right now, but if you aren't able to use it for everything, it will just end up as a very expensive toy. If you do decide to purchase a tablet, go with the same platform as your phone (Android vs Apple) so you can access the same cloud storage & apps from either device.
- May 9 by Nurse2b9742I have an iPad, which I absolutely love for day to day school. However it is limited, there are some resources I cannot utilize on it, that are required for my courses. I have also had a few compatibility issues when I have written papers on it (although I think I have that figured out mostly now). If you can only get one, I would definitely go with a laptop.
- May 9 by MommaTyMy college requires an iPad. But I have a Macbook air at home.
- May 9 by akulahawkI would have to say that I've had classmates that have used all of those platforms (except the Kindle Fire) for classwork. If I had to choose ONE of them, I'd choose a PC laptop, followed by an Apple laptop. A tablet would be good for ebooks and the like, but I'd be very hesitant to use one to actually write longer papers on it. The on-screen keyboard isn't up to par for that and printing it out may be an issue.
- May 10 by mcbtny9Thank y'all so much, I have a iPad I was just wondering if I should consider buying a laptop before school starts.
- May 10 by StephalumpQuote from mcbtny9Definitely. I only have an iPad (laptop screen shattered a year ago and I haven't replaced if) and not having a real computer had been a major PITA. Having to run to school to do assignments that require Flash...clinical paperwork shifting weird between pages and Word...not being able to work on group PowerPoint presentations because all I have is keynote...trying to weige papers on a tiny screen...Just annoying.Thank y'all so much, I have a iPad I was just wondering if I should consider buying a laptop before school starts.
- May 10 by Nurse2b9742Quote from mcbtny9If you do not have a computer at all, definitely get the laptop. However if you have a desktop, unless you will rarely be home to use it, you probably do not need a laptop and ipad. I do lots at school with my ipad or in the computer lab, carrying a laptop around with all my books is something I have no desire to do. The things I cannot do on my ipad, I just make it a point to utilize the lab at school, or use my desktop computer.Thank y'all so much, I have a iPad I was just wondering if I should consider buying a laptop before school starts.