Non-traditional student Transfer blues

  1. I'm a non-traditional student who transferred from a 4 year college to a shorter nursing program. This college was geared more to non-traditional students and was an excellent college.

    I miss all my non-traditional friends and even the security guard who always said "hello"..

    There are "nice" young people in my program but it's not the same. Now I just can't wait to graduate

    Anyone else transfer schools and have similar feelings? I'm sure it will pass.

    PM me if you want

    Marie
    •  
  2. 13 Comments

  3. by   nrselisa
    I haven't been in the same situation Marie, but I hope it gets better for you soon and you make many good friends.

    Lisa
  4. by   Mkue
    Thanks Lisa !

    It's just such a different group of people where I am now. I'ts probably like starting a new job, and having second thoughts about leaving the old one and then things get better in time.


  5. by   kcsunshyn8
    Hey, I'm a transfer student as well after two years at another university. Althought I'm not non-traditional, I miss my old school terribly. I dont miss my classes or professors, but all the close friendships I developed.Transferring is so hard b/c everybody already has their cliques, but I'm slowly making progress. Last night was the first time since I've been here that my "giddy"side came out...and it felt great! I kept thinking that I won't make any friends like the friends I made at my old school, things are looking better, but I still can't wait to graduate...only 2 and a half more years(i hope). Good Luck!!!!
  6. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by kcsunshyn8
    Hey, I'm a transfer student as well after two years at another university. Althought I'm not non-traditional, I miss my old school terribly. I dont miss my classes or professors, but all the close friendships I developed.Transferring is so hard b/c everybody already has their cliques, but I'm slowly making progress. Last night was the first time since I've been here that my "giddy"side came out...and it felt great! I kept thinking that I won't make any friends like the friends I made at my old school, things are looking better, but I still can't wait to graduate...only 2 and a half more years(i hope). Good Luck!!!!
    Hi kcsunsyne8! Glad your giddy side came out !!:chuckle I still e-mail some of my old classmates but it's not the same, but I guess "change" is good too !

    Good Luck with your program !!
  7. by   FullMoonMadness
    Hey Marie;I am very non-traditional.Moved from out of state last year and transfered from a very different nursing program than the one I am now in.I understand what you say about age, I believe I am the oldest in my class. I don't think of 40-somthing as old,but when the rest of the class is made of of much younger students,i do sometimes feel akward. Some of my awkward(sp) is that I have been an LPN since God made rocks,and it is very hard to be in a student/clinical setting. I have made some good friends here and try to unleash my giddy side at least 13 times a day. You are not alone,we are right here with you
  8. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by FullMoonMadness
    Hey Marie;I am very non-traditional.Moved from out of state last year and transfered from a very different nursing program than the one I am now in.I understand what you say about age, I believe I am the oldest in my class. I don't think of 40-somthing as old,but when the rest of the class is made of of much younger students,i do sometimes feel akward. Some of my awkward(sp) is that I have been an LPN since God made rocks,and it is very hard to be in a student/clinical setting. I have made some good friends here and try to unleash my giddy side at least 13 times a day. You are not alone,we are right here with you
    Thanks FullMoonMadness !!
  9. by   GPatty
    Hey Marie~
    I transferred from a BSN program to a smaller college and to my LPN program.
    I loved it! The LPN route was more what I wanted, the people were nicer, and now, I am continuing with the community college.
    You'll be all right, honey...give yourself time to adjust.....
    You're a wonderful lady....let your giddy side out some more!
    Julie
  10. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by Julielpn
    Hey Marie~
    I transferred from a BSN program to a smaller college and to my LPN program.
    I loved it! The LPN route was more what I wanted, the people were nicer, and now, I am continuing with the community college.
    You'll be all right, honey...give yourself time to adjust.....
    You're a wonderful lady....let your giddy side out some more!
    Julie
    Thanks Julie ! you're probably right, it takes times to adjust and I did have a longer drive to the other school, so actually I'm spending less time on the road, so I could focus on that positive aspect !

    Thanks again and have a good weekend
  11. by   Love-A-Nurse
    how is it going, marie? the lady that i have become friends with is 5 years younger than i and very into studying and has her priorities right. i like this.
  12. by   beaRNwhenIgroUP
    Hey Marie...i got my AA at a nice little community college where most of us were "non-traditional"...now i've transferred to a GIANT university where...um...most of the girls are just becoming legal to drink (1 last week, 1 this week)...

    i feel your pain...

    FullMoonMadness...
    we have a guy in our clinical that has been a paramedic for about the same length of time you've been a LPN - he's really happy to volunteer to explian things or help show things....the professors have taken to asking him to help people w/ little things like learning how to take B/Ps and whatnot...

    our WHOLE clinical group is SOOOOO thankful to have him there - i've begun to lobby for a scholarship or something for him...he's been a learning-saver - you could too!!!

    Hugs to all...
    Sarah
  13. by   Mkue
    originally posted by lpn,future, rn
    how is it going, marie? the lady that i have become friends with is 5 years younger than i and very into studying and has her priorities right. i like this.
    at my other college i made good friends with older students than myself..lol.. all different majors, nursing, criminal justice, biology, etc.

    i just feel like many students in my program aren't as responsible or mature as people i'm used to being around... so i feel like an oddball, except for those very few who really do care.

    today, one student was sent home from clinical b/c she was more than 5 min. late... and yet another young girl didn't have her care plan finished so she was sent home.. ugh.

    thanks stephany !

    marie
  14. by   Mkue
    Originally posted by beaRNwhenIgroUP
    Hey Marie...i got my AA at a nice little community college where most of us were "non-traditional"...now i've transferred to a GIANT university where...um...most of the girls are just becoming legal to drink (1 last week, 1 this week)...

    i feel your pain...

    FullMoonMadness...
    we have a guy in our clinical that has been a paramedic for about the same length of time you've been a LPN - he's really happy to volunteer to explian things or help show things....the professors have taken to asking him to help people w/ little things like learning how to take B/Ps and whatnot...

    our WHOLE clinical group is SOOOOO thankful to have him there - i've begun to lobby for a scholarship or something for him...he's been a learning-saver - you could too!!!

    Hugs to all...
    Sarah
    Sarah at the 4 yr. college, which was geared toward more non-traditional students, I did meet some high school students who were taking college courses while still in high school.. it was amazing how mature they were at age 18... I think the program I'm at now attracts many young women who just aren't responsible and/or getting assistance to attend the program. But like I said, there is a small, very small minority of students who act professional and work hard. It just amazes me what I see on a daily basis.

close