Is night school possible?
- 0Jan 12, '09 by jamesdayI am an active duty Marine currently deployed to southern Afghanistan. I will be going to a non deploying unit after this. I will be doing the whole 9 to 5 thing. My question is Is it possible to get a BSN only attending night school? i would like to stay on active duty while i finish my degree. I have not had time to start my schooling due to deployments and now i have the opportunity to attended after hours classes. Does anyone have any advice for me? Are there any good night schools in the Baltimore, MD area? I am certified in Combat Life Saving (CLS) and Tactical Combat Casualty Care (TCCC). I would like to do something in the Emergency/Trauma field. Well any advice would help. Thanks.
- 6,541 Visits
- 1Jan 12, '09 by athena55Hey there Jamesday:
Listen, why don't you post this on the Military Nurses forum? You might get more responses.
Secondly, have you looked into attending a distance type program? Lots of accredited BSN programs are now on-line and would seem to fit into your schedule. If you attend a program "out-of-state" then you might have to set up your own clinical site with a preceptor, but that is like the only major drawback I could envision for you.
[Okay, please wait til I get my flame retardant suit on!] Lastly, have you ever thought about "crossing over" and going Green (as in the Army)? They would pay for your education and give you a stipend, as well. You would be non-deployable as long as you are in school. Just a suggestion......
Congrats on being certified in both CLS and the TCCC! Good Job!
If I can be of some help don't hesitate to PM me.
- 0Jan 12, '09 by FLmomof5Depends on where you are stationed.....
DD is a combat medic over in the sand box right now. She will be home EOM or 1st wk Feb. After that she will be a short-timer. She will come home to JAX where FCCJ has a night/weekend courseload for nursing. Could you get a Xfer to NASJAX? Just a thought.....
- 0Jan 12, '09 by jamesdaythanks for your message. i can't seem to find the military forum. do you have any recommendations on an online BSN program? i have thought about going the Army way but after much research i have chosen to stick with the navy nurse corps. everyone on this site is very helpful. thanks.
- 0Jan 17, '09 by athena55Hello Jamesday:
Home page of AN, go to Specialty tab and click on it then click on "Nursing Specialties"....scroll down until you see the forum "Military Nursing....."
Try this web site: www.aacn.nche.edu/
Also here on AN scroll down and check out the "Available topics" tag...
Another suggestion: go to your home state forum here on AN and pose that question regarding attending a BSN program
What about the Navy Times? www.navytimes.com Or, better yet, www.marinetimes.com Perhaps you could find some information regarding attending school while down range?
Hey, Keep Safe! HOOAH (thats HOO-RAH to you Devil Dogs)