Missed a day of clinical. Feeling like a bum...
- 0May 25, '12 by grownuprosieI have been fighting a sore throat, cough, and congestion for weeks. This morning, I could barely breath. I called into my instructor that I could not come in. I have never missed a lecture or clinical before. My school has a fairly lenient absence policy. But I still feel like a bum. I think my instructor does not believe me. Do I need to do something to recover from this? Would it be more professional to just keep going with my next clinical day like nothing happened? Should i tell her what I am telling you, that this has never happened before and I feel like crap about it? Thanks for your input.
- 1,004 Views
- 0May 25, '12 by Annachu512There is nothing wrong with missing because you're sick. This isn't liek you woke up and said "Screw it, I don't feel like going in." I missed a clinical day last semester. Now my school deducts 6 points from our grade when we miss but we have a chance for extra lab work and written assignments to get those points back. You miss 3 clinical days, you're out of the program, period.
- 1May 25, '12 by Ashley, PICU RNPersonally, I would prefer that a student miss clinical for one day rather than coming to clinical while sick and spreading their cold germs to the already immuno-compromised patients.
Get rest, drink lots of fluids. If it makes you feel better, go to the doctor's so you can have a note to present to your clinical instructor. If your throat is really sore- don't mess around- go get it checked. Strep is not a fun thing to have, or to pass on. If you do HAVE to go back to clinical while you're still sick, please be very diligent about infection control- including frequent hand washing and wearing a mask when you are in close contact with patients.
- 0May 25, '12 by grownuprosieThank for the responses. I just heard from a classmate that all of our pts were discharged early this morning, so there was nothing to do after 11 anyway. That plus your responses make me feel a little better. Now onto the make up assignment... definitely not as fun as clinical.
- 0May 25, '12 by kandamomI have been in classes for 3 years now and will be starting my ADN program in the fall
I have kids and can't afford for them or I to get sick. If I miss a day of lecture, I feel screwed! However, I have never missed a day of lecture or lab in three years because of illness in myself or my kids, and I swear by elderberry juice and zinc! When any of us starts sniffling or coughing I start the zinc and elderberry in force! In 24 hours or less we all start feeling better! I swear by this....
Especially when your stressed, busy, and loaded down with life and school...the immune system needs some boosting!
- 0May 25, '12 by Annachu512Quote from grownuprosieI actually loved the make-up assignment I had. It was busy work but it really help solidify information for the next test we had. I almost asked if I could have the makeup sheet every week!Thank for the responses. I just heard from a classmate that all of our pts were discharged early this morning, so there was nothing to do after 11 anyway. That plus your responses make me feel a little better. Now onto the make up assignment... definitely not as fun as clinical.