Applying for jobs....wait after NCLEX or apply before?Register Today!
- by roxybabe84 Mar 4Hi everyone,
I am finishing up my last semester of nursing school and cannot wait to get my BSN and pass the NCLEX. I also have edited my resume and have applied to some positions online. Should I keep on applying for jobs before I actually pass take the NCLEX and get my license or should I apply after? It seems like there are so many applicants, and I want to get my resume out there, but how do hiring managers consider upcoming graduates? Many people have school have told me to just apply, but is it too early? How long does it take for them to consider all the applicants?
- 1,752 Views
- Mar 4 by TaitI had my first job well before I graduated my last semester in 2006. I was hired as a "Graduate Nurse" and had conditions to complete my NCLEX within a certain time frame after graduation. Just be careful with any kind of sign on bonus (not sure there are any anymore, but there used to be). If you spend it and fail your boards, you have to usually pay it back that DAY. Happened to a friend of mine in Wisconsin.
Best of luck and get the applications flowing!
- Mar 4 by DEgalRNI waited but it was a bad decision. It's a good idea to start early. Some places won't hire you until you've passed your boards but you can just apply again after you have.
- Mar 4 by rumwynnieRNIt depends. Find out if the places you are applying will hire you without your license. Some of the hospitals where I'm from were beginning to move away from hiring you as a GN and wouldn't let you sign until you had your license whereas some still hired you with the stipulation you needed to pass boards. I have been told, however, that you carry more weight when you already have your license because that particular hurdle no longer exists.
- Mar 5 by Twinmom06The hospital that I got an offer from has hired 10 people in my graduating class and we graduate on 5/3 and start the GN program on 6/10....send those resumes out!
- Mar 5 by boushie87Start applying!! I started a few weeks ago and just started getting calls this week to set up interviews (3 so far) and I graduate May 19th.
- Mar 5 by KelRN215APPLY NOW! If you wait until after you take NCLEX, all the new grad jobs will be long gone. I had my job secured in March of my senior year of college, graduated in May, took NCLEX in June and started my job in September.
- Mar 10 by 12hrshiftsI graduate in May and starting applying for applications the last Sat. in Feb. Two hospitals called on the following Monday. I set up an interview with one of them and was interviewed and hired last week! I start after I graduate.
- Mar 10 by roxybabe84wow, ok! I will definitely keep on applying now that I've heard from you all. Was starting to feel discouraged with so much to do and testing to prepare for. But now I feel much more hopeful that I will not be jobless.