Why

  1. 0 I've been reading the boards for a few days now, and enjoy it very much..My one thing that I cannot get passed is this. The Facility my mom was in/died..has spent millions on making it pretty (trauma center), donated recently millions to help build a place for kids, and had lay offs galore over the year. Plus more than 500 more jobs on the line. Yet, not enough nurses, etc. to treat patients. I am livid about all this. My story is long, sad, and wont get into it unless asked. But how can this continue to go on? Money for everything else but good care. Am I wrong here, or is it happening all over? I am planning on writing article just about this situation/moms care. I dont blame the nurses one bit. It's the Hospital that is negligent if you ask me. I did write to CEO, laid it down flat/hard. GEE WONDER WHY WE DIDNT GET A BILL FROM THEM FOR MOM, IT'S BEEN 7MTHS..I think he knew, I meant business..yes I got reply from him/nurses. I was after him. thanks for letting me vent.. Carla
  2. Visit  EKG1 profile page

    About EKG1

    Joined Oct '00; Posts: 6.

    14 Comments so far...

  3. Visit  Tiara profile page
    0
    My favorite subject! It's all about what looks good. I cannot understand why a hospital spends money foolishly on what shows other than it is now big business and they are marketing themselves like Macy's or Bloomingdales! I worked in a hospital that spent more on a table for its boardroom than you could imagine. Just put in a beautiful intensive care unit with the latest in floor coverings and fantastic paintings, etc. It's so superficial. When you walked in the lobby, you thought you were in a luxury hotel and meanwhile nurses were being told, no raises and no Christmas bonus because the hospital was in the red. Go figure!
  4. Visit  Mijourney profile page
    0
    Hi EKG1. In addition to the actions that you have already taken, perhaps you, your family, and friends can consider joining or supporting a proactive group of nurse activists. I think support and feedback from the recipients of care is vital to the efforts made by nurses and others to salvage what is left of quality nursing, and it also gives ammunition to the nurse activists. Thank you for your post.
  5. Visit  EKG1 profile page
    0
    Originally posted by Mijourney:
    Hi EKG1. In addition to the actions that you have already taken, perhaps you, your family, and friends can consider joining or supporting a proactive group of nurse activists. I think support and feedback from the recipients of care is vital to the efforts made by nurses and others to salvage what is left of quality nursing, and it also gives ammunition to the nurse activists. Thank you for your post.
    I would love to do this..Can you tell me where to go/start? Something has to be done with our system today. Just unreal to me.
  6. Visit  Mijourney profile page
    0
    Hi EKG1. On this bb there is a forum for a million nurse march in which you may consider offering some assistance or support on. Some of the nurses in that forum write concerns to the various legislators. Perhaps you can collaborate with them in that area. Maybe you can draw up a petition regarding nursing and patient care and get the backing of people in your community. After it is signed, send it to your representative, mayor, hospital administrator, hospital board, etc. These are just a few suggestions. With the wealth of knowledge on this board, I'm sure that other posters can offer more suggestions. Thanks again for your interest and concern.
  7. Visit  EKG1 profile page
    0
    Originally posted by Mijourney:
    Hi EKG1. On this bb there is a forum for a million nurse march in which you may consider offering some assistance or support on. Some of the nurses in that forum write concerns to the various legislators. Perhaps you can collaborate with them in that area. Maybe you can draw up a petition regarding nursing and patient care and get the backing of people in your community. After it is signed, send it to your representative, mayor, hospital administrator, hospital board, etc. These are just a few suggestions. With the wealth of knowledge on this board, I'm sure that other posters can offer more suggestions. Thanks again for your interest and concern.
    I will do this. I noticed them million Nurse March, havent read it yet. Now you have my attention. I have to do something , for someday we will be in this exact situation ourselves. MIL in this hospital now, I cannot believe what I am seeing again. and of course she's on the newly renovated rehab floor. I actually almost had panic attack in that place, LOL. No not funny. You gave me great advice, thank you much for reply, will print these all up. Hugs, Carla
  8. Visit  pickledpepperRN profile page
    0
    What happened to your Mom and you should NEVER happen. That is why so many nurses are trying to change things. You also may want to visit. www.calnurse.org

    Thank you for your willingness to help others.

    ------------------
  9. Visit  leslie :-D profile page
    0
    Hi EKG1!

    Our facility has a newish administrator and she is hellbent on refurbishing the place, too. Granted, you do want your loved one residing at a place that's attractive but it pisses me off that there are so many other priorities (like hiring more staff or giving raises, helllllooooo!!!) Our residents sit in delapitated wheelchairs, have beds that won't crank up (what's an electric bed?) and are infested with cockroaches...our bug man comes once a month. And to boot, the place still looks like hell because her taste sucks.
  10. Visit  Barbara Rose profile page
    0
    If the care your mother received was substandard, you can also file a complaint with your state through human services, or who ever handles that. It has to be investigated and then becomes a public record. Just a thought from a radical of the million nurse march. Also, all of you need to write your stories down, we will be gathering them together into a volume topresent to our legislators at some point. You don't have to get real personal or list names, etc. but the events are important to our cause. Thanks.
  11. Visit  EKG1 profile page
    0
    Originally posted by spacenurse:
    What happened to your Mom and you should NEVER happen. That is why so many nurses are trying to change things. You also may want to visit. www.calnurse.org

    Thank you for your willingness to help others.

    Thank you for the site, will check it out for sure. Well MIL has major infection/bacterial from hospital. Her leg is turning black, and I'm angry. They have her on 3 antibiotics (mom was too), a central IV line put in. This is really getting me. My mom Died in this hospital. She came in for a fall/low potassium/anemia. And ended up with staph, pneumonia. So they went against her DNR and did trach on her. After that she went downhill fast. Now, I may be wrong, but if you had a patient who's blood showed staph that morning of surgery, would you have done a tracheostomy? I dont think anyone read the chart. This place is getting on my nerves. Yes, will file a complaint, but right now a Lawyer is looking over the case. I didnt want to do this, but this hospital has to see what is going on. The first Lawyer said to many concerns for their small firm to take. I'm not going after doc's/nurses/etc...JUST THIS FACILLITY..wish me luck..As for MIL she is so scared after what happened to my mom. And MIL is 81, my mom was only 69. thanks guys..hugs,Carla

  12. Visit  Tiara profile page
    0
    I think I might want to consider transferring my MIL out of that hospital if there's any way possible. Obviously she's anxious and no wonder. Is there another facility with a reasonable level of care?
  13. Visit  EKG1 profile page
    0
    Originally posted by Tiara:
    I think I might want to consider transferring my MIL out of that hospital if there's any way possible. Obviously she's anxious and no wonder. Is there another facility with a reasonable level of care?
    There is one facility in another town. But I will have to talk to spouse about this. She can be stubborn. I fear gangrene can come into play here, doc said it could. Then he said he may go in an reopen site and clean out infection. I've seen this done, not pretty site. Hate to say it, but ready to bring in the maggots..LOL I know sick, but this is what they use to do. Forgot to mention in last post, my mom was found hanging in between bed rails headed for the floor. Boy you guys just dont know my anxiety. Until I can be heard, whether thru you all with my story for the march, or thru newspaper (actually want to do both), I can not let this go. I feel mom's dying was prolonged. Grrrrr!!! , not fair to her. I want to heal to let myself/mom rest. This has put a damper on my grieving. I am also on a caregiver board, and am going to recruit them, for they too are having same problem with NH's. Does the government really think they will never be put in a patients situation? They are in for a rude awakening..Now, where do I send my story? for the march.thanks for letting me vent here. Hugs/go get them, Carla
  14. Visit  sasan555 profile page
    0
    Colleagues,
    At Harvard we were recently introduced to a new health site which was determined as the most comprehensive on the net.Its best features are breaking medical news,multispeciality - multilingual articles and a 20 million citation health literature search databases.
    Here is a link at Yahoo where you can read more if interested. http://search.news.yahoo.com/search/...OBALHEALTH2000
    The site is http://www.Globalhealth2000.com

    Regards,
    Susan,RN
    Harvard Medical School



Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and find your dream job.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors
Top
close
close