What are your IV site change policies?Register Today!
- by baseline Dec 21, '02How often do you change the site? Central line drsgs? Field IV's?
Where and how do you document this at your facility,especially if you have computer charting. Who monitors compliance?
- Dec 21, '02 by KimburlyWe change peripheral IVs every 72 hours, except you can get 24 hour extensions up to 144 hours if there are no problems at the site. I work pedi onc so most of our kids have central lines, dressings on hickmans and accessed ports are changed Mon, Wed, Fri and whenever wet or soiled or falling off. We use clean technique, not sterile, with a low rate of site infections. Parents are taught to change central line dressings on hickmans. PICC dressings are changed twice a week, typically Mon, Thurs, except they always need changing more often because nothing stays put on an antecubital site! We have a checkbox on our nursing flow sheets for dressing appearance and change for documentation Q shift.
- Dec 22, '02 by PretzlglAt my old job - q72 hour IV changes. qday central line drsg changes, field IV's immediately upon admit to ICU...
- Dec 22, '02 by PretzlglOh, and monitoring was per charting and protocol on the unit. If you said you did it , it was done...
- Dec 22, '02 by RNonsense(Canadian Standards, eh) We change IV sites q72h here...Central line drsgs incl. PICC's are q7days. We have a new nifty securing device that works great....even in the ACF.
- Dec 22, '02 by erdianeQ 72 HOURS FOR PERIPHERAL, WITHING 24 HOURS FOR FIELD STICKS, Q 72 HOURS FOR CENTRAL LINES.
- Dec 22, '02 by deespoohbearOriginally posted by Pretzlgl
At my old job - q72 hour IV changes. qday central line drsg changes, field IV's immediately upon admit to ICU...
- Dec 22, '02 by AHarri66It's q72 for peripheral IV changes; q96 & prn for central/PICC/midline dressing changes at our house.
Of course, there are quite a few we pray over q8!
- Dec 22, '02 by AHarri66Originally posted by deespoohbear
You changed CL dressings every day? Wow!! I thought the recommendation was the first time 24 hours after insertion and then Q week and prn.....Boy changing them every day would be a real pain in the backside....
- Dec 22, '02 by ruby360IV sites and IV tubing Q96h. Within 24 hours for field IVs. Central line dressing Q96h and PRN. Port-a-Cath dressings every 7 days and PRN. Documentation is on flowsheet.Last edit by ruby360 on Dec 22, '02