i have a decision to make, and i really don't know what to do. i thought i would put it to my fellow allnursers for advice. here it is:
for the past year, i have worked as a "traveler" for a local hospital (i will call it #1), which is about 10 miles from my home. the hospital has some issues, mainly staffing. my contract will soon be up, so i decided to take a permanent staff job at a hospital that i had worked at before (i will call it #2), about 40 miles from home. when the manager at hospital #1 found out that i was not renewing my contract, she offered me a staff position as well.
i always have a hard time making decisions. i usually make a pro/con list and i also go with my "gut instinct".
here are the particulars: both have the same sign-on bonus. i was set to accept #2's offer because the salary was very fair. then, to my surprise, #1 stated that they would match any salary that #2 offered me.
#1. close to home, in my own community, 3 nights in a row-same every week..never any weekends. the manager is new. i have heard good things about her from others, but i don't know her. she has some good ideas if admin. will let her implement them.
#2. 80 miles round trip (gas is going up in cost every week, + wear/tear on my car). will work every other weekend. better insurance than #1. i would get to learn computer charting. i know and admire the manager. she is fair and reasonable.
at both places, as a full time charge nurse, i have the opportunity for leadership, and hopefully to make a difference. both managers are recruiting hard, and i don't know what to do. help!!!!!
any advice, ideas? i am all ears!