What are the major issues you have struggled with as a nurse?Register Today!
This is a discussion on What are the major issues you have struggled with as a nurse? in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... What are the major issues you have struggled with as a nurse? Mine: Unrealistic demands from...by Nurse Mentor Nancy May 19, '11What are the major issues you have struggled with as a nurse?
Unrealistic demands from patients and families
Doctors and nurses who treat you poorly
Unsupportive nursing management and facility administration
Not enough time and staff to provide the best nursing care
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=568151©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,688 Views
- May 19, '11 by sharpeimomi worked almost exclusively psych.
1. families thinking i looked "too young to have learned enough to really help."
2. families (and sometimes the pt.) expecting a quick fix that would last forever.
3. families who took the attitude that the entire "problem" was the pt. and saw
absolutely no reason why they should be in therapy to help resolve some issues.
4. lack of community program funding or inadequate funding for exsisting programs.
5. the very very real stigma attached to any type of mental illness. mental illnesses
are every bit as real as diabetes or heart disease.
off my soapbox! great topic!!
- May 19, '11 by SweettartRNEthical issues related to unethical employers and co-workers.
This is the most major issue that I have found.
Medicine is a fickle field.
- May 19, '11 by ScottE,RNIt's hard being a 6'2" man working in an area and with equipment designed with 5'4" women in mind.
- May 19, '11 by Flo.For profit hospitals
- May 19, '11 by ShifraPuahQuote from Flo.For profit hospitals
I believe this can apply to any place that employs RNs.
For me, it is management and higher-ups that fail to understand that nursing doesn't fit into a tidy 36- or 40-hour workweek.
- May 19, '11 by NamasteNurseAdministration ignoring 'real life' on the floors
gossip, backstabbing, unprofessional-ism on the part of co-workers
too much work/ too little time
- May 19, '11 by jmqphdFatigue! Disordered sleep.
- May 19, '11 by imintroubleEnd of life care.
I'm appalled at what people do to family in the name of love.
- May 19, '11 by ElvishScrewed up sleep from working nights
Taking care of people whose life choices I really really disagree with
Decisions about how I do my job made by people who haven't done it in decades, if ever
Not being listened to when I have a crumping patient