Hey everyone. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I wanted to ask. I am a new nursing student. Question.. (they showed us a quick film on this)... say you are covered in blood and body fluids. You have a mask on, gown, gloves and so forth. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU REMOVE?? The mask, the gloves?? Can someone please post for me the order you take these off? I did not find it in my nursing books and the teachers were a bit vague.
P.S. And on the mask, you untie the bottom strings first right???
Feb 12, '07
[color=#ffff9b]sequence* for donning ppe1. gown first
2. mask or respirator
3. goggles or face shield4. gloves
*combination of ppe will affect sequence - be practical
sequence for removing ppe
2. face shield or goggles[color=#ffffff]4. mask or respirator
[color=#ffffff]sorry for the weird formatting; i copied from a powerpoint. it's an excellent powerpoint from the cdc on ppe. if you'd like a copy just pm and i'll email it to you.
Last edit by sam027000 on Feb 12, '07
: Reason: formatting
Feb 12, '07
here are the steps for removing protective apparel from my manual:
1. gloves - for gown with waist strings tied in front
first untie waist strings with gloves
- remove gloves and wash hands
for gown with waist strings tied at side or back, remove gloves, then untie waist strings, then wash hands
2. Mask - remove mask with clean hands, touching only ties or elastics
3. gown - untie neck strings with clean hands
- remove gown (grasp outside of gown at shoulders and pull the gown down over arms), fold gown touching inside of gown only and discard
- wash hands, use clean paper towel to open client's door, then wash hands outside the room
And from my textbook about removing the mask:
- "when removing a mask with strings, first untie the lower strings of the mask. This prevents the top part of the mask from falling onto the chest. Do not undo one set of strings and leave the mask hanging around the neck."
Last edit by GingerSue on Feb 12, '07