Vintage nursing uniformRegister Today!
- by Epona Jan 22, '09Good evening everyone! Does anyone know where I can find patterns of vintage white dress nursing uniforms?? I am looking for the 1970's or 80's. I found a white nurses dress I LOVED on the Internet... no pattern, just the dress. I took the photo of the dress to my tailor and asked her if she could make it (I need a white dress nurse uniform for pinning at graduation). I LOVED this dress. Well, she said she could not make it WITHOUT A PATTERN. I have gotten back on the Internet to try and find vintage nursing patterns to no avail. Does anyone know where I can get vintage patterns for nursing dresses??
Thanks very much! Epona
- 18,378 Views
- Jan 22, '09 by rph3664Have you looked on Ebay? You might want to look for a sewing forum and inquire there.
- Jan 22, '09 by HHheartYou will have better luck if you look at regular dress patterns for that era. Find something similar and she should be able to reproduce it in white. If she can't make minor adjustments (belt, collar, etc.,), you need to find another dressmaker. (I was a dressmaker loooooong before I became a nurse! LOL). Best of luck to you
- Jan 22, '09 by EponaThanks. Yes. I checked eBay. I did just find an old pattern that looks similar to the one I liked. She would have to make a few adjustments, but it wouldn't be too bad. HHheart- you are right. I told her whatever the cost I did not care, I think she just did not want to be bothered to be honest. It might take some work and I am no dressmaker, but I gave her a large 8X10 photo of it and I was quite surprised when she said she could not do it. In-fact, a LONG time ago, when I went to prom, I had a dressmaker that MADE my prom gown for me from a photo... from scratch... so it can be done.. just recalled that. That particular dressmaker has since retired. Thanks for the tips though!
- Jan 23, '09 by Flarei've got a pattern for a nursing type dress from 1972. it's a simplicity 5268. it's way too big of a pattern for me - size 18 1/2 - though it's a simple enough pattern that it could be cut back to size - that's what i was going to do with it. PM me if interested. All i'd want for it is enough to cover the costs of sending it to you.
- Jan 23, '09 by cmonkeycheck costume pattern books (vogue, simplicity, etc).
- Jan 23, '09 by rph3664Quote from firefightingRNHow times have changed! Nowadays, a size 20 1/2 pattern would feature a plus-size model.i've got a pattern for a nursing type dress from 1972. it's a simplicity 5268. it's way too big of a pattern for me - size 18 1/2 - though it's a simple enough pattern that it could be cut back to size - that's what i was going to do with it. PM me if interested. All i'd want for it is enough to cover the costs of sending it to you.
- Jan 23, '09 by blueheavenEbay always has vintage patterns. Make sure that your measurements fit the size as sizes have changed through the years
- Jan 23, '09 by Flareshould have posted earlier - measurements on the pattern I have are:
bust 41", waist 35", hip 43, back - neck to waist 15 7/8
like i said - i had high hopes of making it for myself with a few alterations on size, but i really just don't have the time to get into another project.