Those who want to get out of nursing..
- 0Jan 19, '10 by jrwestwhat are you doing , or wanting, to do about it? Considering going back to school for another field? What field?
I am considering getting out, but not sure what to pursue. IT kinda interests me. Not sure what else I am capable of.I didnt mind nursing per se- it was the BS that we have to deal with- the liabilities( insurance can only go so far), short staffing- things that will NEVER change at this point of time. Anyone else have any thoughts?Thanks
- 11Jan 19, '10 by november17I honestly don't have any plans of getting out of nursing. I am however lifeguard certified. My plan is to get a job at a caribbean resort and sit in a little cabana all day on a sunny beach and save people from drowning. That's my safety net in case this whole RN thing doesn't work out.
- 8Jan 19, '10 by skittlebearjrwest,
Wouldn't it have been nice if nursing school prepared nurses for the REAL WORLD of nursing? I loved nursing school. I was so fascinated with the anatomy of the human body, pharmacology, nutrition, and helping others. You are correct though...nursing shortages and the other BS that goes along with it (that only other nurses would understand) can really cause you to rethink things, or ask the question that I ask myself frequently, "What did I get myself into?"
I have thought about persuing the radiologic technology program. I just have to find time to do it. I recently bought a house which has forced me to increase my work hours. Yes, I probably tell my friends and family members on a weekly basis that I hate being a nurse. Isn't that so negative? It's not at all about the patients I care for. I love to administer medications, communicate with the clients and help them in every way that I possibly can. I just thought before I graduated nursing school that I would have so much more time to spend with patients. Boy, was I wrong, lol. I am just here to say that I know what your going through.
- 7Jan 19, '10 by rosthenursei feel the exact same way. i am an lvn and i think i have been putting off going to rn school because i really don't want to do it. i loved nursing at one point and i still love the patients. everything else makes me dred coming to work. i have no clue what i could do that would generate the same amount of money or more. if anyone has any ideas plz post your input. i am really ashamed to admit that i am losing interest in the field.
- 3Jan 19, '10 by want2banurse35Quote from rosthenursemy bestfriend finally got into the nursing program after 3 yrs and dropped out at the end of the first semester. during her clinical rotation she found out that nursing is not for her. and she feels bad as well because she has wanted to be one for so long only to have her dreams dashed with reality. she feels so lost now.i feel the exact same way. i am an lvn and i think i have been putting off going to rn school because i really don't want to do it. i loved nursing at one point and i still love the patients. everything else makes me dred coming to work. i have no clue what i could do that would generate the same amount of money or more. if anyone has any ideas plz post your input. i am really ashamed to admit that i am losing interest in the field.
- 2Jan 19, '10 by NickiLaughsThere is one positive thing.
It sounds like most of you have jobs......that's more than a lot of people right now. Food on the table, a roof over your head. That's something.
How many of us have had jobs we didn't like? Hopefully when the economy improves you will be able to find something that you enjoy more. My job is not my dream job either.