Texas Medical Center Salary War

  1. According to my wife, who is an RN there is a salary war going in Houston's "Texas Medical Center".

    She was quoted a base pay of $37.00 an hour for a staff position and $38.00 per hour float pool. Also, friends of hers claim they are making $45.00 dollars per hour overtime pay as regular staff nurses.

    The word on the street is that the "Texas Medical Center" as a whole is in such deperate need for staff nurses that salaries have skyrocketed.

    If you work in the "Texas Medical Center" we are interested to hear what you are making.

    Best Regards,
    NJS
    •  
  2. 12 Comments

  3. by   tex
    Sounds like great money. I have read the want ads and it seems that the entire area is in need for nurses. Tex
  4. by   Brownms46
    Not enough money in the world to get me to go to Houston. I almost at one point thought I was desperate enough to go....but I just couldn't do it! Glad to see somebody is getting better money...
  5. by   vettech
    Originally posted by Brownms46
    Not enough money in the world to get me to go to Houston. I almost at one point thought I was desperate enough to go....but I just couldn't do it! Glad to see somebody is getting better money...
    I may regret this but, as a Houstonian I have to ask - why so strong against this city? I hope you're not letting the media sour you. We're the favorite city to bash because of who is in the White House. It has the same problems as any large city (pollution, traffic, crime, etc). On the positive side its friendlier than most large cities and the cost of living is signifigantly below the national average.

    I should qualify my question by being honest and admitting I'm planning to leave after graduation. I've lived here my entire life aside from 4 years in the USAF and its time for a change. I don't DISlike the area, I just need a change of scenery.

    Incidentally, if the weather is the reason, well, I'm with you on that.
  6. by   renerian
    Wow I wonder if the hospital uses travelers?

    renerian
  7. by   Faby
    hi to anyone in Texas: It's that true? Do you make such amount of money in Texas? If so, are there hiring international nurses, please let me know.
  8. by   Brownms46
    Originally posted by vettech


    I may regret this but, as a Houstonian I have to ask - why so strong against this city? I hope you're not letting the media sour you. We're the favorite city to bash because of who is in the White House. It has the same problems as any large city (pollution, traffic, crime, etc). On the positive side its friendlier than most large cities and the cost of living is signifigantly below the national average.

    I should qualify my question by being honest and admitting I'm planning to leave after graduation. I've lived here my entire life aside from 4 years in the USAF and its time for a change. I don't DISlike the area, I just need a change of scenery.

    Incidentally, if the weather is the reason, well, I'm with you on that.
    Hi Vettech...

    Well...the weather is a big detterent...as I have to on one occasion fly into that city, and one occassion to drive thru there. Neither by choice! On the day I flew in...I had to take a bus from one terminal to another....compliments of the airline I was flying. The humidity was totally awful! I could barely breathe! I couldn't wait to take off, and leave there!

    Next...I drove thru...UGH!!! Hated it! After living in San Antonio, and DFW...Atlanta, Charleston, and then Seattle...I have had it with big, horrible traffic, cities! So not just down on Houston...but I would take even Seattle before going there again! Yeah in Seattle it rains a lot....but at least I can breathe!

    And I think the worst accident I have even seen...was in Houston! I remember a long time ago....a nurse described how she drove in Houston....and I guess the vision of what she told me....just never left my mind. She said when trying to get on the highways...she closed her eyes....and just moved over....:chuckle. And after driving thru there...I came to believe she must have taught...just about everyone else there...to drive the same way...:chuckle. I'm glad to hear one good report...about something good about Houston. Stay safe there...and Thanks....
  9. by   Dplear
    Yes, there is a lot of money to be made here in the Medical Center. The shortage is sever and there are travel nurses all over the place. St Lukes Hospital is always advertising on billboards and in movie theaters....I have never seen any other company advertise for help that way. there are over 100 hospitals in Houston....in the med center area alone there is upwards of 12,000 hospital beds. That is the largest medical center in the world. We get patients from all over the world and we see every known illness adn even some unknown illnesses. Hel we were instrumental in mapping out the Human Genome as well as developing the breast implants and Viagra....just to name a few things...the money is here.

    Dave
  10. by   teeituptom
    Howdy yall
    from deep in the heat of texas


    I live in the dallas area and we make good money here, not that good. But I wouldnt live in houston, I aleays felt it was downright ugly and unfriendly place to be....
    However I did cheer when the houston texans beat the dallas cowboys so significantly. that was great.
    But I wouldnt live there




    doo wah ditty
  11. by   sjoe
    Breast implants and Viagra! Sounds about right for Texas, where bigger is always proclaimed to be better.
  12. by   vettech
    Originally posted by Dplear
    Yes, there is a lot of money to be made here in the Medical Center. The shortage is sever and there are travel nurses all over the place. St Lukes Hospital is always advertising on billboards and in movie theaters....I have never seen any other company advertise for help that way. there are over 100 hospitals in Houston....in the med center area alone there is upwards of 12,000 hospital beds. That is the largest medical center in the world. We get patients from all over the world and we see every known illness adn even some unknown illnesses. Hel we were instrumental in mapping out the Human Genome as well as developing the breast implants and Viagra....just to name a few things...the money is here.

    Dave
    And don't forget the Texas Heart Institute and the MD Anderson Cancer Center, both at the top of their field.
  13. by   Faby
    Sorry, I made a mistake. I sould've said foreign nurses. So I ask again are they hiring foreign nurses in Texas? Does anybody know if foreign nurses can earn that much?
  14. by   renerian
    One of the nurses from delphi forums just signed on here with an 18k sign on bonus/2 year commitment.......what is that hospital like...does anyone know? Good hourly wage to $30 per hour........days

    renerian


    I am considering going there.....

close