Reusing medical supplies - page 4

What do you think of doctor's offices that reuse medical supplies? I am not talking about things that are sterilized and standard to be reused. Here are two examples. One, I worked as a CMA for... Read More

  1. by   MishlB
    Originally posted by brianpribis
    O.k., since we are talking about specimen cups:
    I was a CNA in a nursing home years back and at about 7pm the people came around with snacks for the residents. I decided to have some fun. I went and got a specimen cup (new not reused!) and filled it with lemonade. I then went to the nursing station and told the nurses that I had just emptied so-n-sos foley bag and the urin didn't look right. They all looked at it. I then said it didn't smell right, and I uncapped it and smelled it (they smelled it too). I then said it didn't taste right either and drank it real quick like. He he he. First they screamed, looked green, and then, when they figured out what I had done, came after me. (Before one of you smarties say something about wasting a perfectly good specimen cup, it was being used for theraputic purposes, a good laugh during a hard night ;-)
    You are SOOOOOOOO naughty!!!!!!!!!
  2. by   flowerchild
    SmilingBluEyes, FYI, my patients don't get billed for anything. All the care is free. They do not have any money to pay for the items with. I either supply them or they go without.

    TeresaRN2b, "why use sterile cups in the first place if you aren't concerned about having a sterile specimen." Good point.
    The cups come with a lid and are made to hold the urine. I'm assuming they want the patients to bring in the first morning urine?? A Dixie cup isn't very good for transport.

    Did you say this was an OB Doc? Perhaps the office needs to save money so they can afford the malpractice insurance to deliver babies?
  3. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by flowerchild
    Did you say this was an OB Doc? Perhaps the office needs to save money so they can afford the malpractice insurance to deliver babies? [/B]
    VERY LIKELY since in most states, there is NO cap on the amt a lawsuit can recoup. An why so many OB's are leaving practice.
  4. by   SmilingBluEyes
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by flowerchild
    [B]SmilingBluEyes, FYI, my patients don't get billed for anything. All the care is free. They do not have any money to pay for the items with. I either supply them or they go without.

    and how do you recoup operating costs then? Just wondering since I am quite ignorant of how free and state-run clinics work.
  5. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by MishlB
    Keep those kids away from that dangerous toilet!!!!!!!Ewww gross...yucky poo poo. Gimme a break. Where do you keep anything with the kids around? IT'S A CUP!!!!!!!!!!!!WASH IT!!!!!!!!!
    Dear, I CLEAN my toilets. My kids wash their hands. That was not my point. Why the HECK do I want to store a nasty thing like a speci cup? I DON'T!
  6. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by brianpribis
    O.k., since we are talking about specimen cups:
    I was a CNA in a nursing home years back and at about 7pm the people came around with snacks for the residents. I decided to have some fun. I went and got a specimen cup (new not reused!) and filled it with lemonade. I then went to the nursing station and told the nurses that I had just emptied so-n-sos foley bag and the urin didn't look right. They all looked at it. I then said it didn't smell right, and I uncapped it and smelled it (they smelled it too). I then said it didn't taste right either and drank it real quick like. He he he. First they screamed, looked green, and then, when they figured out what I had done, came after me. (Before one of you smarties say something about wasting a perfectly good specimen cup, it was being used for theraputic purposes, a good laugh during a hard night ;-)
    :roll fuuunnnnyyyy!
  7. by   SmilingBluEyes
    *considers her jelly/pickle jars in a whole new light. perhaps this would be better than bringing specie cups home, anyhow. lol.
  8. by   zudy
    I know the NM of a hemodialysis unit, her unit is part of a private hospital. She told me that the filters on the dialysis machines in her unit were disposible, and thrown out after 1 use in her unit, but in many privately owned dialysis clinics these were cleaned and used again. I have never worked dialysis, I might be totaly off base, but she said it was a terrible practice and it sounds gross to me.
  9. by   flowerchild
    SmilingBluEyes,
    Federal and state funding through grants and special project money. I do bill MCD but the money goes into a fund that is for the program but not the individual clinics. We used the money last year from the MCD to pay nurses when the state pulled some of it's funding.
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Originally posted by flowerchild
    SmilingBluEyes,
    Federal and state funding through grants and special project money. I do bill MCD but the money goes into a fund that is for the program but not the individual clinics. We used the money last year from the MCD to pay nurses when the state pulled some of it's funding.
    Thank you flowerchild. That helps me understand more.
  11. by   Sleepyeyes
    Originally posted by MishlB

    And back in the day...there were superbugs, just that now we have meds to treat them, so they are no longer so super.

    Please tell me if I read your post wrong, but

    That is soooo not true. We have resistant TB, VRE, MRSA--super-bugs that became super from the injudicious and incorrect use of antibiotics.
  12. by   MishlB
    Originally posted by Sleepyeyes
    Please tell me if I read your post wrong, but

    That is soooo not true. We have resistant TB, VRE, MRSA--super-bugs that became super from the injudicious and incorrect use of antibiotics.
    I think you read it wrong...I know there are some out there. I was referring to other possible bugs...........thanks!!!!!!!!
  13. by   tonchitoRN
    i used to live in a usa territory where unemployment is high and the economy is down. the hospital would provide one set of sheets, if you wanted them changed you had to bring your own, you had to provide your own pillow. when you go to the md office and he ordered tests you would go to the lab to have the blood drawn and then you had to go back to the lab to pick up the results and take them yourself to the office (only abnormal results were called by the lab personnel to the md office). these are a few examples of cutting costs by the gov't. you might think this is so horrible but let me tell you. i paid $210 a month for private health insurance for a family of 4. i could get a cbc for as little as $35-$50 cash, to have a baby costs less than $2000 which includes prenatal care and a normal vag. delivery. the md's were trained in usa accredited schools. the care was good. so the next time you complain about reusing medical equipment take a look at your health insurance premiums, take a look at your bills if you had to pay cash. ask yourself would you be willing to do some of the labor yourself to save some money.
    also, someone posted that the usa has the resources. check again. hospitals are going out of business, md's are retiring early. the resources are not like they used to be.

close