Preparing for Nursing School
- 1Apr 13, '01 by MitoI studied AP for 2 months before I started nursing school and it really helped I used "The Anatomy Coloring Book" which helped alot.
If I could do it over again I would also study pharmacology to get used to the terms and drug classifications.
- 0Apr 14, '01 by journeyyThe A & P Coloring Book is a great idea. For A & P, I found "The Laboratory Atlas of Anatomy and Physiology" by Douglas J. Eder, Shari Lewis Kaminsky, and John W. Betram, very helpful. There is a book called "Nursing Made Insanely Easy" 2nd Edition by Sylvia Rayfield and Loretta Manning which is wonderful for introducing you to some basic nursing concepts. I used it throughout nursing school, and, as a study aide for the NCLEX-RN (passed the first time!). If you'd like more info please email me. Good luck to you, and, God Bless!
- 0Apr 14, '01 by RNinMayHi there, I don't really know that studying Pharmacology beforehand will help you, unless you know someone who can help you get started. Anatomy & Physiology are great to begin with though, and a strong knowledge base of that subject can help you figure out answers to questions you may not know right off the top of your head! I reccommend any of the "incredibly easy" books by Springhouse. They are so easy to read and understand even the most difficult subjects. If they have a book on Pharmacology, you might even understand it on your own! Good luck!
- 0Apr 17, '01 by mlvogti am also starting nursing school this fall (ahhhhh) anyways I bought a tabers when i was 18 and started anatomy and physiology right after that. I am glad anatomy was offered at my high school. I love my tabers I read it all the time. if I am watching tv and I hear a medical term that I am not familiar with I just look it up. I hope this helps you and good luck !!!!!!!
- 0Apr 17, '01 by essargeOriginally posted by Nrswannab:
I am planning to attend nursing school in August, God willing. I was wondering if there's anything I can read over the summer to help me prepare for classes. I will be taking Nursing Concepts I and AP I. Any good study guides for either one? Thank you!
I am using cliff notes quick review for a&p...it's really helped me alot!! Good luck in school!
- 0Apr 18, '01 by NurseStudentFall01I'm also starting nursing school this fall. I just got my acceptance letter for the nursing program a couple weeks ago. I'm taking A&P 1 and 2 during the Summer 1 and 2 sessions. I'll have my first nursing class, along with microbiology this fall.
I ordered the Anatomy Coloring Book from amazon a couple days ago, on Mito's suggestion. I got the second edition by Wynn Kapit. It should be here any day now, so I'll let you know how I like it.
Everyone says the A&P, microbiology and all the nursing classes are so hard, I'm nervous!
I appreciate all these tips to help us new students get prepared!