Oddest things found in a patient! - page 3
by Antikigirl | 43,598 Views | 105 Comments
So it was kinda a wacky fun day at the med surge area yesterday...and there was this article in our newspaper about a man who put in like 12 long nails by nail gun in his head...then later on (like weeks) came into an ER with... Read More
- 0May 4, '06 by kiddienurse02have one about my own child. she had her hair braided and took one of the beads out of her hair and stuck it in her nose. all day she kept sniffing and rubbing her nose. the babysitter asked her what was wrong and she nonchalantly stated "there is just a bead in my nose." when asked why she did it she stated "I don't know." if you couldn't guess, she's 3.
- 1May 4, '06 by RunnerRNI have a few. One is a pedi story. 4 year old boy with a lego tire up his nose; he was at day care during nap time, and said "everytime I put it up there it fell out, so I kept pushing until it stayed!" Skinny foley catheters work great for things up the nose....put it up and blow the balloon a little bit, then pull it out!
We had a guy come in with an apple up his tushie. He couldn't really come up with a good story. Took the doc a while to get that one out! He chipped away at it with some forceps until it was just a core and he could pull it out.
Had a 17 year old boy come in with his sister's vibrator lodged up there; yes, it was still buzzing away!
Department story told every Easter.....young man came in with multiple plastic Easter eggs lodged in his tush. We always start laughing so hard that I've never heard the resolution of that one!!
- 0May 4, '06 by MamaTheNurseQuote from kiddienurse02too funny! when my youngest was 4, he stuffed 2 popcorn kernels up his nose (was trying for a third but ran out of room) - his older brother alerted us to this - he was very calm about the fact they were stuck until we told him he had to go to the ER to have them removed, then he started crying - my husband had him in the truck, on the way to the ER, and he was crying and sucking his thumb - the pressure of the suction must have been pretty strong because one popped out in the truck - when they got to the ER, they couldn't find the one he put in first - the ER doc figured that his crying made his nose all lubricated with snot and it went down the back of his throat but we had to watch him for the next few days for purulent drainage from his nose - that was almost 3 years ago - no purulent drainage and he has kept popcorn out of his nose...........have one about my own child. she had her hair braided and took one of the beads out of her hair and stuck it in her nose. all day she kept sniffing and rubbing her nose. the babysitter asked her what was wrong and she nonchalantly stated "there is just a bead in my nose." when asked why she did it she stated "I don't know." if you couldn't guess, she's 3.
ps - 1 week later, I had to take him in to the same ER because he had an infected bug bite on his knee that I didn't see until he was having a bath (he's our one that dirt is strongly attracted to) and all the local Urgent Cares were already closed - the ER Registration Clerk recognized him and said "Hey, it's Popcorn-Up-My-Nose kid!"
- 1May 4, '06 by MamaTheNurseooh, I forgot this one:
my mom has a younger sister (3 years younger than me - her older sibs call her "Oops Baby" sometimes) and when she was about 2 or 3, she started drooling and refusing to eat - my grandmother took her to the doctor and he told her that my aunt was just "spoiled" (just because my grandma was obviously an older mom? ) and sent them home - later that day, Grandma took her to ER and demanded an X-Ray - turns out, she had swallowed a QUARTER and it was lodged sort of sideways in her throat - so "Oops Baby" got a trip to the OR to be "de-spoiled".................(boy, that doctor got a piece of my grandmother's mind - she went to the office, slammed a quarter down on his desk and told him that's all she was going to pay for the office call!! - you go, Grandma!!)
- 1May 4, '06 by mommy2boysI have a story about me. When I was in the 3rd grade myself and some other kids thought it would be funny to put an eraser bit(the kind on top of a pencil) up our noses and see who could shot it the furthest. Me being the super smart child that I was inhaled instead of blowing the eraser out. It got stuck and had to go to our doctor to have it removed. I then did again (on the other side of my nose) less than a week later.
My dad still gives me a hard time and its been more than 20 years. He also says that I should beware because my boys act the same way I did when I was there age.
- 1May 4, '06 by enviragirlWhen I was a little girl I stuck a ***** willow up my nose when my sister was babysitting. She told my dad who is a doctor and so he looked up my nose with the otoscope. He couldn't find anything so he said it must have come out. Well about a month later I was in the car with my mom and I sneezed and there came the ***** willow! My dad is an ER doc and he had a patient who's wife stabbed him (not funny I know) with scissors, every time his heart beat the scissors moved in and out! Luckily the scissors were in the pericardium and he survived.
- 1May 4, '06 by texas_lvnThis is close, but is funnnny.
LTC nurse, I had a demintia pt come up to me and insist I go and see what was in her bathroom, in the toilet. (I am thiinking hairbrush fell in or something like that) well, I get to the toilet, and there is a LONG AND WIDE piece of $@#!. It was so big, and I could not help myself, I laughed so hard that my DON had to come in and make sure I was ok. I told her what happened, and she saw it and laughed so hard she peed her pants. --No Joke. and the whole time we are laughing, Ms. Jones is saying "where did that come from what is it, Why is it there?" It was soooo funny.
- 1May 4, '06 by MIA-RN1going along with the things in the nose stories, when I worked in a daycare, they served pastina for lunch one day. The toddler teacher wasn't paying enough attention to one young one as he crammed his nose full of pastina on both sides. Unsure what to do, they called the mother who came right over.
She calmly leaned over him, took a deep breath and blew into his mouth, thus causing the pastina to fly out of his nose. I guess he was prone to sticking things up there and she had figured out how to get stuff out!