"obama" grant to go back to school
- 0Aug 7, '10 by winterluv10523Im seeking to find out more info about this grant.
Has anyone applied for it, and what were the things
you have to have to be approved.
I'm an lpn and want to go for my rn asap.
Id only do the program online through excelsior
because of my situation. I'm wondering if the
grant would pay for me to get my rn degree through
I have all my preq's and coreq's done from my college.
I just need the main rn courses and the clinical portion.
Im tired of the limited job opportunity i have as an lpn
and want to move on to the area of nurses that i really want...ob
please help, with any info regarding this grant and if i could us it
to get through the excelsior program....b-t-w, i most def make less than $40,000
- 6,504 Views
- 13Aug 7, '10 by caliotter3An article was recently published about these misleading ads. There is no "Obama loan". These ads are nothing more than bait for for-profit schools. Don't click on them unless you are interested in being overwhelmed with sales pitches.
- 2Aug 7, '10 by ajhill00They did increase the pell grant from 5350 per year to 5550 per year, but those "obama ads" are just misleading sales pitches as the previous poster commented.
I doubt you would qualify for pell grants if you make close to 40K, but you can fill out a FAFSA and find out.
FAFSA - Free Application for Federal Student Aid
- 0Aug 7, '10 by whodatnurseOP - Are you thinking of the 159.1 million in grants that were awarded to train nurses and geriatrics workers?
Obama administration awards $159.1 million for training geriatric-care workers
They've been awarded to various educational institutions. It looks like it might be up to them as to how the grants will be apportioned (facilities, teachers, helping students defray their costs, etc.)
- 0Aug 7, '10 by stelonGrants and scholarships are going to be the way to go for you, I think. My husband and I together make not much over 40,000 and I don't qualify for any grants anymore or even loans through FAFSA. Hard to believe that on your own making close to 40,000 you'd get anything horribly useful, but it doesn't hurt to try.
- 0Aug 7, '10 by winterluv10523Thanks everyone...more inputs encouraged. Im ready to reapply through fafsa again. Hopefully this increase in grant will get me through the program as a single mom.
Im so ready to get my rn and be done with school.
Can anyone give me some info on excelsior??
I just need the main nurse courses and clinical portion.
- 0Aug 8, '10 by winterluv10523Quote from foreverLaurGood luck - I'm trying to go back to nursing school and my school gave me NOTHING. I make $27,000/yr and I filled out the FAFSA. My expected family contribution was $1,000 and I applied to 3 schools and they all gave me NOTHING. So much for MORE money.
WOW, SORRY TO READ THIS. WHAT'S UP WITH THAT
I GUESS YOU HAVE TO BE CLOSE TO BROKE OR HOMELESS TO
GET HELP NOW-A-DAYS...