Nurses targets for IRS?

  1. Ok, so I picked up a book at my MIL today. I'm pretty sure it was called Personal Finance for Seniors (she's not that old). Anyway, I was just flipping through and the tax section caught my eye. It said people in certain professions are more likely to be audited by the IRS. Just wondering how true this is and if anybody else has heard this? Maybe since we're nurses we're used to audits, so hey what's one more?
    •  
  2. 35 Comments

  3. by   Mulan
    did it say that nurses were more subject to audit?
  4. by   burn out
    Not only believe it but have lived it and I just use the EZ form.
  5. by   jill48
    I wasn't audited, but my license has been suspended for 3 years because they IRS said I didn't file 7 years ago, which I did. So for three years I have been fighting to get my license back. So yes, we are targets.
  6. by   mistydave
    wasn't there any way to prove you filed? After you filed and paid fines or whatever you can't get your liscense back? that's scary
  7. by   jill48
    Quote from mistydave
    wasn't there any way to prove you filed? After you filed and paid fines or whatever you can't get your liscense back? that's scary
    The only way to prove I filed was if I had the copies of the returns. But I could not find them anywhere, plus I moved since then. It was seven years ago for gosh sakes! Federal said they had them, but state did not. The butthead accountant I used only mailed in the federal. But that wasn't good enough for the state. :angryfire
  8. by   mistydave
    wow I can't believe they took your liscence over that. So can you practice in another state, or you can't practice at all over that?
  9. by   justme1972
    Quote from jill48
    The only way to prove I filed was if I had the copies of the returns. But I could not find them anywhere, plus I moved since then. It was seven years ago for gosh sakes! Federal said they had them, but state did not. The butthead accountant I used only mailed in the federal. But that wasn't good enough for the state. :angryfire
    You used an accountant to prepare your taxes? If you did, then there is your recourse.

    You paid him to do a job, and he didn't do it. He carries E&O insurance to cover your losses. If he is a seasonal tax preparer, he works under a CPA...if he IS a CPA, then I would demand to know who his E&O carrier is and file a claim.
  10. by   Multicollinearity
    Professions more likely to be audited include the self-employed, people on commission, waiters, etc. In other words - those who have more leeway in reporting income and deductions. If you get paid on a W-4, it is pretty clear how much you earned. If you get paid on 1099's or if you report tip income you have much more room to screw up. These are generally the people the IRS is after.
  11. by   weirdRN
    wow... I thought I was imagining things when my employer took out FORTY percent taxes on my OT and on my sick time!

    I will never understnad that and after figuring that out, I don't work overtimes either.
  12. by   rnmommy23
    Sorry, I tried to edit it, apparently it didn't stick. It specifically named nurses as more likely to be audited. I've been audited once about 5 years ago.
  13. by   jill48
    No practicing whatsoever until I get a letter of compliance from the Missouri Dept. of Revenue and send it to the state board of nursing. Then I have to wait for them to approve it, and then I will finally be reinstated. It's almost over. It took us this long to find out exactly where in the process that the problem occured. Now that I have refiled, all I have left to do is wait for the letter. And another important lesson I learned through all of this is to mail my taxes by certified mail so I always have a signature as proof.
  14. by   OC_An Khe
    Why not work the OT? So they take out 40% in taxes... that still leaves you 60% AHEAD (more cash in your pocket) then if you didn't work the OT. As for sick time it is income like any other and is subject to fed income tax,fica, medicare, state income tax and (shudder) in some places city income tax.

close