Just curious....how do you guys feel about male nurses? - page 4

Also how do you think the public views male nurses? Might sound like a stupid question but I'm not in the field so I have no clue.... Read More

  1. by   cargal
    Originally posted by mario_ragucci
    I'm sorry, I have to agree with her, because she makes a good point. Male nurses usually think they are the cat's meow. Women are unique to nursing and caring, and men who attempt to dabble in PT care find out quick how unsuited they are. :kiss
    Ummm, Mario, aren't you studying to be a nurse? Dabbling are you? Please clarify.
  2. by   mario_ragucci
    I understand how some women feel about males going into nursing because I felt the same way about women coming into my Marine Corps. I thought it was okay for women to support us, but to wear the same uniform and enter the same rank structure as us was nuts to me. In the United States Marine Corps, women were given privilage, far too much attention, rank and leadership in the field, when they had not served enough time in the field to be considered on a level with male Marines.
    Again, I have no objection to women supporting Marines, but not to wear the same uniform as the men. All women Marines did that I saw as a grunt was disgrace the men who fought and died as well as create jealousy and strife amongst REAL Marines. See?:kiss
    Last edit by mario_ragucci on Dec 26, '02
  3. by   mattsmom81
    Originally posted by mario_ragucci
    I understand how some women feel about males going into nursing because I felt the same way about women coming into my Marine Corps. I thought it was okay for women to support us, but to wear the same uniform and enter the same rank structure as us was nuts to me. In the United States Marine Corps, women were given privilage, far too much attention, rank and leadership in the field, when they had not served enough time in the field to be considered on a level with male Marines.
    Again, I have no objection to women supporting Marines, but not to wear the same uniform as the men. All women Marines did that I saw as a grunt was disgrace the men who fought and died as well as create jealousy and strife amongst REAL Marines. See?:kiss
    Hmm. I never thought of it in this light. Not to open a can of worms here, but I agree with Mario that service women are not good for military fighting units in general...unless they can meet ALL the same requirements as the guys. But I think of it more as not good for morale or effective unit function...the guys may show overprotectiveness with females in battle, possibly eroding the chain of command and cohesiveness of the team, and jeopardize the assignment..

    Probably should start a thread to discuss this one Mario! LOL!! :roll
  4. by   lateblumer
    in my opinion, it just evens things out. We have only one male nurse on our unit. He is the charge RN. He is wonderful. He is very knowledgable about his work and our residents just love him. He addresses every problem, male or female, with professionalism and patience. He has more knowledge about women's problems than most of the women we work with.

    Besides it helps to cut down on all the gossiping and "henpecking" as we call it.
  5. by   sanakruz
    *****!!!

    Are you all "stuck" or what?


    Is this all we are? Male nurse- Female marine?.... I'ts time to move into the 21st century.

    Maybe I'll see some of you there
  6. by   sunnygirl272
    i think male nurses only go into nursing to find a female doctor to marry and take care of them. they are only looking for a sugarmama. that is their goal when they choose to go into nursing.
  7. by   cargal
    Originally posted by psychnurse.com
    *****!!!

    Are you all "stuck" or what?


    Is this all we are? Male nurse- Female marine?.... I'ts time to move into the 21st century.

    Maybe I'll see some of you there
    I'm with you. I really hope they are being sarcastic.
  8. by   donmurray
    Sunny, with all that latin and all, are you a doctor?
  9. by   sunnygirl272
    (winkwink) don, darlin'...i'll be anything you want....
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    EXACTAMUNDO, psychnurse. BAM!
    Last edit by SmilingBluEyes on Dec 26, '02
  11. by   Gromit
    Originally posted by mario_ragucci
    I'm sorry, I have to agree with her, because she makes a good point. Male nurses usually think they are the cat's meow. Women are unique to nursing and caring, and men who attempt to dabble in PT care find out quick how unsuited they are. :kiss
    Really?
    That would not seem to be my experience in various parts of the field of patient care.
  12. by   mario_ragucci
    In reality, both men and women are equal fighters in terms of hunting and survival instincts. Culture dictates what you think of as proper. Just saying I respect women who say men shouldn't go into nursing. All that bigoted thought can mess up your mind. It all depends how you look at it.
  13. by   Gromit
    I will grant that I wouldn't even try to get into OB or L/D. But everyone has a strength.

close