Some background: I am a LPN of 5 years who is finally finished with my RN program as of this week. YAY
I'm awaiting my ATT and hope to take NCLEX as soon as possible in the state of OH. I'm a mom to a 7 mo old and 3 year old. My husband is an active duty Chief in the Navy (14 years in) - he has recruited the past 3 years near my family so that we could stay put and me finish school and we did it! We will begin looking at orders next month for a transfer date of May 2018 (9 mo from now). I hope to some day either go into Lactation Consultant/women's health NP or Surgical nursing. Both have caught my eye.
My issue is, I submitted applications and have began interviewing for RN positions - but we are due to transfer within my first year. So far I have had very promising interviews for
1) A staff RN position in labor and delivery at a small rural community hospital 2 minutes from my house. I have worked for this facility contingent as a LPN for a year in their outpatient offices so I am already an employee of the organization in good standing and excellent references within. There are no medsurg, or other positions available there currently.
2) I have done 2 interviews and have a floor shadowing experience on a surgical step down unit scheduled for a larger hospital about 40 minutes away with a new grad residency program. I did mention being a military spouse to them and never knowing when we may have to transfer (not saying I KNEW we would have to. She assured me there would be no money owed or any special catches if I had to leave within the first 2 years - and that she'd hope any nursing manager would understand.
I guess I am just conflicted, because I need to contribute financially to my family and start working FT as soon as possible because we have scraped by to get me to this point having only worked contingent... I want to start getting experience. I can't afford to wait until May of next year to start an RN position. However, I know we are going to leave next spring/summer. I worry about leaving at the 8/9 month mark and being frowned upon trying to get jobs elsewhere. I also know how much of an investment it is to train a new grad RN. What would you do? I mentioned to my husband him transferring first and the kids and I staying the extra 3 months just to hit that 1 year mark for my resume/work places sake - while applying to other positons... but either way, the situation kind of stinks.
Quote from NurseNicole89
Thank you for your insight. And you are right, especially in the case of military and in life in general really - nothing is guaranteed. I hate not being upfront about info like this, but I know it would harm my chances of getting work. I will make the most of any experience I am lucky enough to get!
Other than being a military spouse who may have to deal with a transfer, there is nothing more to be "up front" about. "Due to transfer" doesn't make it for sure. I agree with Jolie - it's entirely possible the transfer doesn't happen when you think it will. Or the employee who gets voted Most Likely to Stay Put could have some unexpected change in life circumstance. No one comes with a guarantee.
I don't think you owe your employer any more "up front" than you've already provided. And thanks to you and your husband for your service to your country.
Last edit by TriciaJ on Aug 12
: Reason: grammar correction