I Contracted HIVRegister Today!
This is a discussion on I Contracted HIV in General Nursing Discussion, part of General Nursing ... I came here to post because I've just felt very sad for the last few days. I graduated in May 2008...by sarahwv Dec 12, '08I came here to post because I've just felt very sad for the last few days. I graduated in May 2008 and started in the ER at a local hospital. In October I was trying to start an IV on a man who came in and accidently pricked myself! We started all the usual protocol for this type of event as soon as it happened. I continued to be tested, but this Tuesday I got a call from the doc to come in. I'm now HIV+. I know its not the end of the world with all the advance they've made and what not, but I'm still very sad...especially since I've always dreamed of being a mother to many children. This may also affect my work. I've been on approved leave since finding out. Just had to vent about this guys. Thanks.
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=355004©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 63,433 Views
- Dec 12, '08 by Thankful RN,BSNI am so sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you!
- Dec 12, '08 by JilaweezSarah,
I am so sorry to hear that this has happened to you. My thoughts and prayers are with you at this time.
- Dec 12, '08 by belle923I am very sorry this has happened to you...your in my prayers. GOD BLESS
- Dec 12, '08 by leslie :-Doh sarah honey, i'm so very sorry.
take all the time you need, to grieve and recover.
you still have your whole life ahead of you.
hang in there, sweetie.
tremendous advances have been made with hiv, with many more to come...
and soon, too.
many loving hugs,
- Dec 13, '08 by FireStarterRNThat's very upseting to hear of your bad luck! Thankfully, as you say, treatments have made great strides. God Bless you.
- Dec 13, '08 by SmilingBluEyesI am so very sorry. New treatments are always on the near horizon. Hang in there and do all you can to live a full life. I wish you the best.....I am sad for you.
- Dec 13, '08 by dancingdoulaI'm so sorry to hear your plight. My heart goes out to you!!! I know you are a strong woman because you are a nurse. Don't give up!!!
- Dec 13, '08 by txspadequeenRNi am very sorry to hear this...thank you for sharing your story
- Dec 13, '08 by missmiamooremy last year as a nursing student, i pricked myself accidentally with a glucometer needle. this was after i took the guy's blood glucose with it. i checked his PMH in the chart for hiv or related conditions and there was nothing. i never reported this. I was embarassed for being so careless and wanted to hide this happened. but ever since it is something that worries me and keeps me up at night. i know i need to get tested. i am so afriad of the results. Sarah, you said you had multiple HIV tests, how many did it take to find out you were HIV positive?