benefits of participating in a professional nursing organization for the nursing profession
understand the history of the nursing profession...how some of the same conditions and attitudes we've see today have occured throught the years and the need for the constant fight to maintain the profession of nursing...
see the american nurses association: centennial story
"composed of professional nurses dedicated to the promotion of health and the care of the sick, has served as the forum in which the nation's critical health issues have been discussed throughout the last century.
functioning as a democracy, the ana provided the structure in which views were expressed, ideas were debated and evaluated, and positions and goals were formulated. because it represented the views of administrators, clinical practitioners in institutions and community agencies, educators, and researchers, it has served for 100 years as the public voice for the diversity of america's professional nurses"
american nurses association:
*member benefits: http://www.nursingworld.org/member2.htm
*what has ana done for me lately? http://www.nursingworld.org/about/lately/ceohome.htm
learn about all the different avenues for nurses:
what can you do with a nursing degree?
benefits of participating in a professional nursing organization for a nurse individually
1. keeping abreast of the trends in nursing both locally and nationally.
2. networking with colleagues.
3. protecting my right to practice nursing and alerting me to threats against my right to practice e.g. legislation introduced.
4. attendance at ceu sessions stimulates my brain cells, gives me a time away from work to decompress, recharge the batteries and to see that others are in the same boat (or maybe worse) work situations.
5. be challenged in my thinking...brainstorming allows me to consider new views on a subject. learn to debate subjects.
6contribuite my expertise on a subject matter
7. renew acquaintences.
8. learn that nursing is an ever evolving profession.
9. make friends...travel to new places and try different restaurants.
10. share fun times!