Collodial silver?

  1. Not sure of the spelling. Does anyone know anything about this? The way it was explained to me (by a lay person) is that you use a machine that looks like a car battery and stick two poles and a piece of silver into some water and it breaks off pieces of the silver into the water and then you drink it, it is supposed to cure everything in humans and dogs from the common cold to parvo.

    Now this does not seem like a good idea to me, I mean can't the silver build up to a toxic level? and if it did what would it do? I would have liked to tell this person this but since I have no idea what she is talking about, and just a gut feeling that this is a very bad idea I just kept my mouth shut.

    I have looked in every book I own, talked to a nurse I work with and even talked to my old instructor but no one has heard of it. Any one have any knowledge about this?
    •  
  2. 21 Comments

  3. by   NRSKarenRN
    From Quackwatch.com:
    Colloidal Silver: Risk without Benefit
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01Quacker...s/silverad.html
  4. by   BRANDY LPN
    Come on guys, help me out. I found some sites that talk about it and the possibility of silver poisoning but they are all trying to sell this stuff, doesn't anyone have any reliable info?
  5. by   CCU NRS
    I always apply a couple of old addages to this type of thing.

    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is

    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it ain't a damn bear
  6. by   BRANDY LPN
    Quote from CCU NRS
    I always apply a couple of old addages to this type of thing.

    If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is

    If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it ain't a damn bear
    My thinking exactly, but would like to know if it is dangerous, I mean it has to be right? Like copper, wouldnt it build up to toxic levels and start damaging organs? and which organs? Would like to be able to tell this person exactly what could happen to her from taking this junk.
  7. by   memphispanda
    Want to know what can happen? You can develop a wonderful condition called argyria. It is not reversible. There is no known "safe level" of silver to take to prevent it from happening. Some people can take silver for years and not develop it, some take it a couple of times and turn gray. Read more:
    http://homepages.together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html
    http://asthma.about.com/library/weekly/aa081699.htm
    http://healthychristianliving.com/co...ertoxisity.htm
    http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml
  8. by   suzy253
    Quote from BRANDY LPN
    Come on guys, help me out. I found some sites that talk about it and the possibility of silver poisoning but they are all trying to sell this stuff, doesn't anyone have any reliable info?

    You better believe it's dangerous and this is very very reliable info. Again, I post the website previously supplied

    http://homepages.together.net/~rjstan/rose1.html
  9. by   BRANDY LPN
    Thanks everyone, the lady that is using this stuff is a friend of a friend, so called my friend first thing this am and told her to tell her about this. I knew that it had to be dangerous, your instincts are very rarely wrong but just needed to know the details before I could offer advise. Again thanks for all the input.
  10. by   Agnus
    Silver has very good antibacterial properties. There are silver impregnated wound dressing, silver foley catheters, etc.

    It is by no means a cure all. It is currently very popular among lay people.

    It can be very toxic when taken over time. The effects, including bluegray skin are not reversable.
  11. by   NewEngland-RN
    Hi ...

    What I know is that Colloidial Silver (and Gold) were used primarily for their anti-microbial properties-Kind of a pre- antibiotic antibiotic.
    I have only heard of it used today in Holistic circles/medicine.
    I havent run into any studies on toxicity but check the PDR primary and herbal for any info...

    Good luck.
  12. by   colleen10
    One of my classmates works in a doctor's office and had a male patient that took this stuff. She said he was a bit of a psych case and was taking it because he was affraid of becoming ill during Y2K.

    Anyway, she said his skin actually had a metallic cast to it, looked kind of blue-metallic-irridescent. She said it was very sad.
  13. by   Loving Life
    Quote from BRANDY LPN
    Not sure of the spelling. Does anyone know anything about this? The way it was explained to me (by a lay person) is that you use a machine that looks like a car battery and stick two poles and a piece of silver into some water and it breaks off pieces of the silver into the water and then you drink it, it is supposed to cure everything in humans and dogs from the common cold to parvo.

    Now this does not seem like a good idea to me, I mean can't the silver build up to a toxic level? and if it did what would it do? I would have liked to tell this person this but since I have no idea what she is talking about, and just a gut feeling that this is a very bad idea I just kept my mouth shut.

    I have looked in every book I own, talked to a nurse I work with and even talked to my old instructor but no one has heard of it. Any one have any knowledge about this?
    I am so glad I ran into this thread. My boyfriends' boss and an employee have been talking to him regard this silver stuff and the hydrogen peroxide stuff. Has anyone have info on the hydrogen peroxide treatments? His boss gave him one book on the silver and one on the peroxide. I graduate with my BSN next month and am busy finishing up school work, but a plan to read these books when I am done. I think he would appreciate any info also.
  14. by   MyReign1
    I wouldn't recommend taking it everyday but it does have healing properties. I initially heard about in about 8 yrs ago. I was a sophomore in college, I had contracted pink eye and I couldn't afford to go to the doctor. A guy in my micro class made some in the lab. It cured my pink eye within 3 days.

close