CNN article on nurses and job growthRegister Today!
- by tnbutterfly Jan 14CNN Money published several nursing articles this morning regarding the job shortage for new grads based on information they got from allnurses members.
Since the recession, health care has been the single biggest sector for job growth, but that doesn't mean it's easy to get hired.
Registered nurses fresh out of school are coming across thousands of job postings with an impossible requirement: "no new grads."
It's a problem well documented by the nursing industry. About 43% of newly licensed RNs still do not have jobs within 18 months after graduation, according to a survey conducted by the American Society of Registered Nurses.New grads have taken to posting their frustrations on allnurses.com, a social network for nurses.
A slideshow of nurses and their struggles:
- Where's this so called shortage?
- Nursing jobs post "no new grads"
- If only I could get an in-person interview
- Dear Obama, Please help the nurses!
- Even with experience, I can't find work
- I want to make a difference
- Online applications are rejected instantly
- I can only find part-time work
- We're competing with thousands
The article is the most popular discussion on CNN right now!!
Original thread requesting for help from CNN reporter can be found at:
New Grad Nurses struggling to find jobs - CNN Reporter wants to hear from youLast edit by brian on Jan 14
- 42,859 Views
- Jan 14 by rebecca leachI graduated in 09 with my associates degree as an RN. I have struggled to find a good job and have been so discouraged that I have considered changing fields. My problem has been a lack of experience and BSN. When I graduated I hoped to get a position that had employee education assistance so I could afford to get my BSN. My student loan debit is about to the cap. As it is rift now, I can't afford to get my BSN but to be competitive, I really need it. So far I haven't found a position that will help me get it.
Most job postings are for travel, which requires experience, and contract work, which also requires experience and offer few benefits. When I went into nursing employers were offering bonuses to new hires and would take new grads with no problem. I have a huge debt and very few employment options.
- Jan 14 by netglowQuote from ixchelMore likely your school did not want you to get the word out. Actually, I am sure of that.Just read the article. Wish it came out a few months ago. I lost points on an assignment for saying there isn't a shortage for new grads. Apparently allnurses.com isn't a reliable enough source
- Jan 14 by TheCommuterTo all the new grads who shared their stories with CNN: thank you!
United we stand, divided we fall. You came together in unity to get the truth out regarding the sluggish nursing job market in many parts of the U.S. and you are appreciated for it.
- Jan 14 by ixchelQuote from ixchelMeant isn't a shortage. Edited it by accident. Oops!Just read the article. Wish it came out a few months ago. I lost points on an assignment for saying there isn't a shortage for new grads. Apparently allnurses.com isn't a reliable enough source
- Jan 14 by LindaBrightI was delightfully surprised to read this article this morning, and excited that it included information from posters here! I think it addresses the problem new nurses are all seeing - graduate nursing school to help fill the nursing shortage, but wait, wait, wait in frustration. Gaining nursing experience without working as a nurse is hard, but not impossible, and even the smallest amount can give you a boost when it comes to finding a job.
- Jan 14 by brianYes, thanks to all of the new grads that shared their story!
It was a pleasure to work with the CNN reporter and helping them get into contact with so many new grads to share your plight. Within 24 hours of asking, over 130 new grads shared their stories with the reporter, giving her a wealth of great stories to share for the article and spread the real story of new nursing grads.
Good Luck to all of you starting your new career as a nurse!
This story is still the #1 story on CNN Money, please share your comments here:
For nursing jobs, new grads need not apply