1.I'd like to see nursing return to a patient-centered focus rather than a nursing-centered focus.
2.I'd like to see the recognition of the profession that what is required right now is clogs on the ground, not two additional years of theory to be "competent" to perform as a RN.
3. Echoing #2 I want to see full hospital and AACN support for AD nursing programs
. AD grads perform well and are needed NOW!!
4. I'd like to see a complete suspension of direct route NP programs. E.G. you cannot seek a NP license without five years of verified nursing practice.
5. I'd like to see an iron-clad pronouncement of the limitations of the APN. Where does nursing stop and medicine begin? No mid-level on this board has ever described where they believe the limitations of advanced practice nursing lie.
6. I also would like to see legislated enforcement of ratios. However, if you are limited to 4:1, 5:1, 8:1 respective of your specialty you better do the job.
7. I'd like to see all nurses as independent contract agents. There should be review every 3-6 months with continued employment based on performance. This cuts both ways. The nurse is happy. The facility is happy.
That's a short start.