Can I vent? Just a little... you can vent too if you want, I won't tell... - page 5
by GonnaAmazeYou | 9,540 Views | 58 Comments
So I had a career. A Good job, made descent money, stable...something was "missing"...so what did I do? I went and became a nurse. Cut down my hours at work, studied hard and then passed NCLEX and got my license. Yay for me... Read More
- 0Sep 14, '12 by RunnerRN2b2014Quote from netglowOur local free medical clinic is always looking for volunteer RNs and MDs. They do have 1 or 2 paid RNS on staff but the rest of the staff is volunteer.The idea of volunteering?! Don't understand that one at all. Volunteers are non-medical people in my area. These are not clinical positions and you are not eligible if you are an RN. .
- 0Sep 14, '12 by Live.&.LearnOur school also has maintained a 100% placement rate for ADN graduates, it is a hospital based school, also I am a 1st year student and I have been checking the local hospital for RN positions and there are several every day and have been for at least a couple of years. Nursing is still an excellent career choice in upstate NY...best of luck to you
- 1Sep 14, '12 by nurseintx0511Quote from juncel123These days it's not even who you know anymore. When I was a new grad last summer I applied for several positions at a hospital where my mom has been a nurse for 30+ years. The anesthesiologists I worked for at the time (as a secretary, same hospital) got me in touch with the CNO of the hospital. He told me he would put in good words for me, got me interviews in NICU and pediatrics.... just where I wanted to be. Everyone who knew me (I practically grew up at that hospital bc of my mom) was rooting for me, putting in good words for me. And nothing. I got nothing.Yup it sucks.. I know I am "was" our position too. Well, I have a PART-TIME job at a nursing home now where I hace 30 patients all to myself.. And I just got an offer recently from a dialysis place too which I might take. But I really want med-surg and I HATE IT that I can't get the experience I want... The reason why I hate it is because I know that getting a good nursing job is about WHO YOU KNOW, AND NOT WHAT YOU KNOW most of the time. So yeah, politics in nursing.. Way to go. But please don't lose your passion for nursing. It sucks right now, but I know it will get better for us! =)
I ended up at a smaller hospital outside of the big city, 30 min away from my house, on a med-surg unit... Doing exactly what I don't want to be doing. I've been there for 7.5 months now and I'm just waiting for my 1 year to hopefully move around to an area I am more interested in! Hang in there, something will come along. It just may not be the something you were hoping for.
- 0Sep 14, '12 by GonnaAmazeYouThanks do much you guys this input has been really helpful and although I hate knowing other people are dealing with this same struggle, I really am glad it is not just me. The worst part of this entire mess is that I was offered a position at a local hospital in Las Vegas, unfortunately I needed to pass nclex and have my perm license by August 1 and no matter what I did, there was no way for me to get my transcripts and schedule my test- I took it aug 2 and passed but my license did not become effective until August 16th so they rescinded the offer. Since then it has really been one rejection email after another. I do know about the opportunity in north Dakota, but I have researched housing and that is the issue, there is very little housing and u have to move therea before u will find a place. I told my husband if I don't find a job by January/february I will pursue that, I really do not want to though. The idea of living in -30 sounds terrible for this desert girl. Right now I'm crossing my fingers on penn state, that is the only promising opportunity right now for me.
- 1Sep 14, '12 by GonnaAmazeYouBy the way please do the poll it is funny seeing the results. My personal FAV is the we don't want a new grad, we want a new grad with experience. When I get those emails I laugh, and then resist the urge to contact the recruiter and explain what a NEW GRAD IS.
- 0Sep 14, '12 by missjosieRNI'm in the same boat as you! I thought I was alone on my feelings, its quite depressing. I've been an lpn on a sub acute rehab floor and I just found out that means nothing when applying for an RN position. Surely that has to count for something!@
I'm single, no kids and I'm also willing to work where ever I can get my foot in the door.
I have to meditate daily to keep my sanity and remind myself to think positive, eat right, exercise....yada yada
- 0Sep 14, '12 by nursewithskillsQuote from GonnaAmazeYouI couldn't have said it better myself, ha!!So I had a career. A Good job, made descent money, stable...something was "missing"...so what did I do? I went and became a nurse. Cut down my hours at work, studied hard and then passed NCLEX and got my license. Yay for me right?? WRONG...
Now I am underemployed, my old job is long gone and filled with someone new and I cannot get a nursing job to save my life. So Far NURSING SUCKS- I really want to make it work, I have a passion for nursing, but it is SO DEMOTIVATING to get this emails EVERYDAY that say We regret to inform you that we are not interested in interviewing you. I apply all over the country, every single day, my husband is down to move anywhere I find a job(what a guy)... and yet the same thing every single day "We regret to inform you"... u suck. I just do not get it, Do you want me to be more educated? then I would have my own practice... want me to be more eager? i can stalk u if u really want me to! ... Want me to sell myself better on my resume and cover letter? Well Ok just dont try and check any of those facts i made up...
I know there are a lot of us New Grads, I am just one that could not go another day without venting this frustration. I know once I find a job, it will be better, but until then I really wish i would have become a nurse 10 years ago, or picked a profession that actually wanted new people.
There is NO NURSING shortage, I am SO sick of hearing there is.
Anyone else hating this whole Life as a New grad thing??
Thanks for putting some humor in it, made me smile.