Breastfeeding and Atkins/low carb

  1. 0
    Thought this was SOO helpful and interesting!

    http://www.power-surge.com/transcripts/atkins.htm

    Get the hottest topics every week!

    Subscribe to our free Nursing Insights newsletter.

  2. 10 Comments...

  3. 0
    Thanks, that was interesting. I've been on the Atkins Diet while breastfeeding but my son was over two.

    I think personally I'd wait until my baby had started on solid foods and breastfeeding before doing the Atkins Diet. Just to be safe.

    steph
  4. 0
    Actually, La Leche League does not recommend any diets that throw your body into ketosis, as there is not enough research on how it will affect your baby. Also keep in mind that weight loss of more than 1-2 lbs. a week is considered unhealthy. As you burn fat, it releases environmental toxins. These toxins are eliminated through the body chiefly through the breastmilk (when lactating).

    If you're going to do low carb and you're breastfeeding, I would not recommend Atkins Induction, but instead start at aroun 40-50 grams of carbs a day.
  5. 0
    That's what's so interesting about this to me. So many people say "i'd recommend not doing induction" etc...or not dieting for that matter, etc...but many people are doing Atkins (some with induction, some not) and they are still getting those products regardless of how its broken down. Its amazing how people just perceive what's safe and what's not. (not any poster here, just a generalization).

    And it IS proven that weight loss is slower, regardless of the low carb route you take and what phase. As for me, i started it when my son was 6 mths old and exclusively bf. I continued til he was almost 10 mths when i found out i was pregnant again and had to stop. now i just follow a general low carb lifestyle (ok usually! :chuckle ). But i believe any diet laden with lean healthy meats, good carb veggies, good fats, low grains, and certain fruits is a great way to go. Can't go wrong there! And my milk was EXTREMELY thick and creamy, very satisfying to my son, and i had a great supply while doing this too. Kinda interesting isn't it? I lost 22-24 pounds (can't remember ) during that 4 mths. So i thought that was pretty good too.
  6. 0
    Originally posted by klone
    Actually, La Leche League does not recommend any diets that throw your body into ketosis, as there is not enough research on how it will affect your baby. Also keep in mind that weight loss of more than 1-2 lbs. a week is considered unhealthy. As you burn fat, it releases environmental toxins. These toxins are eliminated through the body chiefly through the breastmilk (when lactating).

    If you're going to do low carb and you're breastfeeding, I would not recommend Atkins Induction, but instead start at aroun 40-50 grams of carbs a day.
    Food for thought:

    Babies and brain development thrive in a state of ketosis. So if someone is NOT on a low carb diet, babies are receiving all the bad stuff that we pass on dietary wise such as pesticides, toxins, animal horomones, the list goes on and on. I feel that most people while doing atkins or something similar eat more pure food, good fats, more organics, more food prepared naturally as opposed to store bought and chemical laden. So i'd think based on that that this WOE is a great thing for nursing babies as well. They are going to receive toxins somewhere. I think the consensus would be that many would rather it be from their bodies than from poor nutritionally prepared food. Just a random thought i had......lol
  7. 0
    I got this from another online community that a friend posted.

    I wanted to quote the newly released (2004) The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International (the breastfeeding experts) on toxins in breastmilk when dieting (though I do need to preface it with that they do not condone low-carb diets for Breastfeeding mothers , unfortunately, they feel low-carb diets fall into the fad/crash diet category)


    Crash diets, fad diets, and quick weight loss prevent problems for nursing mothers. In the past there was concern that losing weight too quickly would release environmental contaminants into a nursing motherís blood and raise the levels in her milk. However, more recent research shows that this is not a risk. Exceptionally high protein/Low-carbohydrate diets are potentially harmful for the breastfeeding mother because of substances released into the milk by the mother's altered metabolism. Any kind of drastic weight loss carries the risk of a drop in milk supply.


    So it seems they are preaching about low milk supply, not necessarily the ketones?? lol

    based on what this says, i'm guessing they are talking about ketones, but then again who knows? So it goes to say that you are expelling SOMETHING in your breast milk. ketotic toxins or bad crap in your food from all the additives, etc...lol

    LLL has never been a favorite group of mine. I call them the Nipple Nazis! lol However i am an extended breastfeeder, and they do have excellent advice, etc....i think its just their overall attacking attitude to those who DON'T bf that sets me off.
  8. 0
    Originally posted by SnowymtnRN
    LLL has never been a favorite group of mine. I call them the Nipple Nazis! lol However i am an extended breastfeeder, and they do have excellent advice, etc....i think its just their overall attacking attitude to those who DON'T bf that sets me off. [/B]
    A few points. First, I know it's a somewhat common phrase, but I find using "Nazi" in reference to La Leche League or any other group to be incredibly offensive. Nazis were hate-mongering murderers. Perhaps breastfeeding zealots might be a better phrase. I just ask that people use a little more sensitivity and forethought before bandying about the term "Nazi."

    Second, La Leche League as an organization does not attack those who do not breastfeed. Their purpose is to promote breastfeeding and educate people on the risks of not breastfeeding - NOT put down or attack those who choose not to, for whatever reason. Of course, LLL Leaders are all individuals, with biases and different personalities. Just like with any other "profession" you will find good ones and you will find bad ones.
  9. 0
    Originally posted by SnowymtnRN
    Food for thought:

    Babies and brain development thrive in a state of ketosis. So if someone is NOT on a low carb diet, babies are receiving all the bad stuff that we pass on dietary wise such as pesticides, toxins, animal horomones, the list goes on and on. I feel that most people while doing atkins or something similar eat more pure food, good fats, more organics, more food prepared naturally as opposed to store bought and chemical laden. So i'd think based on that that this WOE is a great thing for nursing babies as well. They are going to receive toxins somewhere. I think the consensus would be that many would rather it be from their bodies than from poor nutritionally prepared food. Just a random thought i had......lol
    But eating Atkins or eating crap are not the only two options. People can still eat well and not eat foods with lots of toxins and pesticides, and still not eat such that they're putting their bodies into ketosis. Also, when you're in ketosis, your baby is getting double dose. S/he's getting the toxins released from the weight loss, AND the ketones you're spilling. The toxins are going to be going through regardless of how you lose weight. And I'm not talking about the toxins from the food you're eating right NOW, but years and years of toxins accumulated from food and the environment that are stored in your fat cells.

    I don't understand what you mean by babies' brain development thrive in a state of ketosis. Can you explain this more fully, because I've never heard that babies are in a state of ketosis, or that it's needed for brain development.
    Last edit by klone on Jan 18, '04
  10. 0
    Originally posted by klone
    A few points. First, I know it's a somewhat common phrase, but I find using "Nazi" in reference to La Leche League or any other group to be incredibly offensive. Nazis were hate-mongering murderers. Perhaps breastfeeding zealots might be a better phrase. I just ask that people use a little more sensitivity and forethought before bandying about the term "Nazi."

    Second, La Leche League as an organization does not attack those who do not breastfeed. Their purpose is to promote breastfeeding and educate people on the risks of not breastfeeding - NOT put down or attack those who choose not to, for whatever reason. Of course, LLL Leaders are all individuals, with biases and different personalities. Just like with any other "profession" you will find good ones and you will find bad ones.
    Have you ever been in the LLL? Have you ever been to the meetings and interacted with the people? I've lived in 4 states and belonged to 2 different state groups. Yes its all in where you are and the type of people they happen to be, however, in my personal experiece as a breastfeeding mother for the past 3 years the group is HIGHLY judgemental and clicqeish. Now call it something else if you wish, misjudgment, narrow-mindedness, one-sidedness, whatever but in my experience this has been the case. LLL is full of awesome information, and usually out of a group there's maybe 1/4 of the women who belong there who are TRULY wonderful intelligent liberated open minded women who just want to learn and teach and spread the word of breastfeeding and all its benefits. To say that LLL does not attack those who don't bf isn't accurate. Lots of meetings were full of tons of animosity and judgement towards formula feeding women, teen mothers who never tried to bf, etc...Now in their literature and advertisements this isn't the case of course. They would never gain the recognition they have now if that were so. Many people who are active in LLL are more AP (Attachment Parenting) geared and live for the natural, earth friendly, way of life and parenting. And for them this does NOT include formula feeding. So yes, i'd say that's prejudice.

    And as for my reference of nipple nazi's, it was a term that i shoot out at times and meant no offense too. I was trying to keep this post informative yet light, and you've managed to make it personal and somewhat of a debate. Sorry if i offended you, but that wasn't my intention. I'd say lighten up a bit.
  11. 0
    Originally posted by klone
    But eating Atkins or eating crap are not the only two options. People can still eat well and not eat foods with lots of toxins and pesticides, and still not eat such that they're putting their bodies into ketosis. Also, when you're in ketosis, your baby is getting double dose. S/he's getting the toxins released from the weight loss, AND the ketones you're spilling. The toxins are going to be going through regardless of how you lose weight. And I'm not talking about the toxins from the food you're eating right NOW, but years and years of toxins accumulated from food and the environment that are stored in your fat cells.
    You are right. Its not necessarily the food you are eating in the moment, but what difference is it if its in your body to begin with? your child will still receive whatever you have to offer, and if they aren't getting what they need, your body will find and produce it for them otherwise your baby will let you know they aren't satisfied or getting what they need. I.E. low weight gain, failure to thrive, lethargy, fussiness, tummy troubles, etc...

    Now on the flip side, if you are dieting and burning fat and losing weight, aren't you going to spill ketones in some sort of fashion or another? The difference with Atkins/South Beach is that you do it for a 2 week period then stop. Not that every nursing mother does induction, nor should she necessarily, but its all indivicual.

    I don't understand what you mean by babies' brain development thrive in a state of ketosis. Can you explain this more fully, because I've never heard that babies are in a state of ketosis, or that it's needed for brain development.


    Hmmm.....i'm trying to find the reference for that and i'll gladly post it for you. Its been a while since i read it, so i dont' want to "fudge up" my words and knowledge. :chuckle give me a day or so to dig thru my research and i'll post it!
    Last edit by SnowymtnRN on Jan 19, '04


Nursing Jobs in every specialty and state. Visit today and Create Job Alerts, Manage Your Resume, and Apply for Jobs.

A Big Thank You To Our Sponsors
Top