In Bed With Dying Patient - Page 10Register Today!
- Dec 21, '08 by irish6363Wow..I actually broke and stopped reading at the point were you asked her to lie there with him....it brought many emotions to the surface and had to stop for just a few moments to recuperate....you are a very very kind person. What you did was so much more priceless than you could have imagined. Thanks.
- Dec 22, '08 by sh1901I am a new nursing student and your article is the reason I want to be a nurse. I want to blend my skills and compasion to what is best for the patients AND their families. Thank you so much for sharing this story - It is an inspiration to someone who is embarking on her life's dream of becoming a caring and skilled nurse.
- Dec 24, '08 by statphleb SNThank you so much. I am in tears reading this. Thank you for being a nurse---but most of al thank you for being human!:icon_hug:
- Dec 31, '08 by SpritzI work on a Hospice Unit. This person was not MY patient but I knew them from a previous unit as a student nurse. While still a student, on preceptorship, I encountered this family again but in a palliative setting. One evening, the husband now a 10% on the PPS scale, the wife was curled up on the inroom couch, I asked her is she wanted to curl up beside him. She looked shocked at my suggestion as the tears began running down her cheeks. I re positioned her hubby so she could fit behind him in the bed. I placed pillows behind her and raised the bed rails(leaving the feet on her side down). I them got a couple of blankets from the warmer and left them alone.
He passed that night and she said that spending that time with him was one of the most precious gifts she could ever have.
Being able to make a difference - we deal with death and dying more frequently than most. Knowing that this experience is individual and helping them through this journey is what makes palliative/hospice so special.
- Dec 31, '08 by StraydandelionThis is where our skills, knowledge, expertise can't replace basic humanity...the essence of a nurse is combining all.