12 hour shift questionRegister Today!
- by BOSS man Apr 22How closely are your 12 hour shifts usually? Do people usually do 3 straight 12s and call it a week? I'm planning to be a new RN in the future and trying to figure out how my life working nights may be, as far as sleep, family, social life.
- 6,392 Views
- Apr 22 by BiffbradfordQuote from BOSS manMost like to do 3x 12hrs and then have off. It can be a marathon, but seems to work for most people.How closely are your 12 hour shifts usually? Do people usually do 3 straight 12s and call it a week? I'm planning to be a new RN in the future and trying to figure out how my life working nights may be, as far as sleep, family, social life.
- Apr 22 by MeriwhenWhen I worked 12s (not in nursing though), I worked them in a row to get them over with. Also, they were also night shifts and it was easier to do them in a row so I didn't disrupt my sleep/wake hours too often.
- Apr 22 by happyinillinoisI hate 3 in a row. Like to work 2, off 2 work 1 off 2. I work days, 7:00am-7:30 pm. I don't get home until after 8:00 pm, and I feel out of sorts with my kids if I work three in a row. Typically, where I work, if its not your weekend to work, you will work Mon and Friday, so I just tack a Tues or Thursday with it. Probably feel different if I worked nights though.
- Apr 22 by laderalisI work 7p to 7a and like working 3 in a row. I feel like crap the last shift, but its easier to switch my sleep around when they are grouped.
- Apr 22 by gunrockDepends if I work nights or days. If I work nights, I like to do all 3 of my shifts in a row to have the longest stretch on a normal day schedule.
If I work days I usually work one day, then take a day off, then work two in a row. I feel like this helps keep my sanity :-)
- Apr 22 by twinmommy+2I would prefer to do three in a row days or nights, it gives more time off in a row afterwards and easier on the sleeping schedule.
- Apr 22 by That Guy3 on 1 off 3 on 7 off. I used to do 6 on 8 off but that damn near killed me. Makes it easier to switch to day normal hours on the time off.
- Apr 23 by PediLove2147When people see 3 in a row on my floor they wonder what they did to the NM to deserve such punishment so it definitely depends on the person! I know a few people that like it but it can be hard on the body. By your 3rd you're ready to crash.